Sunday 30 June 2019

Reflections on the last round.

Well, we got up earlier than Phil likes this morning as today’s game, the final game of the tournament, began at 10.00. I’ve packed the cases, checked all the cupboards and drawers to make sure we have not left anything behind, paid the bill and put the cases in a secure room until it’s all over. I’ve been for a final walk along the promenade and a paddle in the sea. I’ve been for a last look at the little park that we have visited most days. And now I’m just waiting. It’s a funny sort of dead time this last morning of the tournament.

A number of friends and acquaintances have already packed up and gone, some of them still bemoaning the fact that the heatwave has not arrived here. Personally I have quite enjoyed the non-heatwave. The sun has shone enough the make the pool pleasant but nit so much that it has become like Piccadilly Circus. And the nights have been pleasant for sleeping.

 This has not prevented my chess-player from complaining that he is really tired. It’s all that thinking. Surely it’s not good for you. One of our friends told me that he might not come next year. At our age, he assure me, nine rounds are just too many rounds. He will stick to three round tournaments from now on. And they do this for fun!?

So here we are. It’s not quite July but Vigo hotels are already taking bookings for people who want to visit to see the Christmas lights!!! I read this in yesterday’s newspaper. While they do the Christmas lights very nicely in Vigo, I just cannot imagine spending a weekend oohing and aahing at them. Each to their own, I suppose. The mayor, Abel Cabellero, seems to think it is worth the money he has spent on those lights.

Something I fead in yesterday’s English papers convinces me of the mild craziness of animal lovers. As farms have had to diversify just to make ends meet, many have apparently organised farm visits, along the lines of a petting zoo, where parents can bring their children along to see the animals. This is no doubt a good thing as there are children who have no idea that milk comes from cows but believe that arrives by some kind of magic at the supermarket. Anyway, some of these mummies have been getting upset, about calves being separated from the mother cows. Maybe the mummies had never visited a farm before and did not realise that this was standard practice. This kind of sentimentalisation of farm animals is something I might expect from my smallest granddaughter who likes to establish families wherever possible - cows, horses, poultry, fish, dinosaurs. It’s a normal stage of development. Adults need to grow out of it. I wonder if these sentimentalists have dogs. Did thy get upset about taking the puppy away from its mummy?

And finally, this.

Poor (I have my tongue firmly in my cheek as I use that adjective) Theresa May has not managed to cement her deal for leaving the EU so she seems to be looking round for other things to leave as her PM legacy. Here’s one:-

 “Couples in England and Wales may be given the option of tying the knot at sea, in the woods or even at home after a review of outdated marriage laws was kicked off by the prime minister. Theresa May announced that the Law Commission would carry out a two-year review of marriage rules, which at present require weddings to be held in a place of worship or another licensed building.
“The vital institution of marriage is a strong symbol of wider society’s desire to celebrate commitment between partners. But we can do more to bring the laws on marriage ceremonies up to date and to support couples in celebrating their commitment,” she said.”

That’s all very well but we are talking about the UK here. You might organise an outdoor wedding and then have it pour down with torrential rain on the big day.

Gimmickry! I say. Pure gimmickry!

No comments:

Post a Comment