Monday 12 July 2021

This morning at about 8.15, I snoozed my alarm. It rang a second time. I switched it off. I listened to the rain on the skylight windows and shut my eyes. When I opened them again it was 9.15. It was still raining. I decided to forego my morning run on two counts. 1. It was still raining. 2. Running then would delay the true start to the day by altogether too much. As a rule I don’t object to running in the rain but together with the late hour and the fact that I would almost certainly need to dry my hair, I could see it being midday before the day got going. It’s not that I have a strict schedule to keep to or even that it matters in any way what sort of timetable my day follows. It’s just that somehow I feel cheated if I’ve not had a morning. 


I’ll go out for a longish walk later. From the look of the weather I’ll need my waterproof! Maybe the rain will put a damper on the enthusiasm of those who want to pour abuse on football players for missing penalties!


And that abuse has been happening:-


“England players have been bombarded with despicable racist abuse after the Three Lions lost to Italy in the Euro 2020 final.  

Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka were flooded with abhorrent slurs and monkey and banana emojis on social media after missing penalties.

The Metropolitan Police has launched an investigation, warning the ‘unacceptable’ behaviour ‘will not be tolerated’.

A furious statement from The Football Association said any fan who partook in the ‘disgusting behaviour’ was ‘not welcome in following the team’.”


Here’s an example from a Tory MP to an MPs group chat after the game last night:


“They lost - would it be ungenerous to suggest Rashford should have spent more time perfecting his game and less time playing politics.”


One of her colleagues must have some kind of conscience for her comment was leaked to the wider world. 


I find myself wondering if the disadvantages of social media outweigh any advantages it might have. And I say that as someone who posts photos on an almost daily basis and really appreciates the instant contact with friends and family all over the world. But I look at the problems social media can cause and have serious doubts. Would the people who type disgusting comments and put them out there in the ether walk down the street shouting out such things? Well, I suppose a few might do so but most would not. Mild-mannered folk become monsters of the keyboard! 


 Not all the victims of abuse crumple under the weight of it. Here’s something Raheem Sterling said about dealing with hate:-


“When I bought my mum a house, it was unbelievable what some people were writing. I think it’s really sad that people do that. They hate what they don’t  even know. 


A few years ago, I would let it get to me. I’d be saying to my mum, ‘Why are they picking on me?’ But now, as long as my mum, my sister and my kids don’t have any stress, I’m good.


If people want to write about my mum’s bathroom in her house, all I have to tell you is that 15 years ago, we were cleaning toilets in Stonebridge and getting breakfast out if the vending machine. If anybody deserves to be happy, it’s my mum.


She came to this country with nothing and put herself through school cleaning bathrooms and changing bedsheets, and now she’s he director of a nursing home and her son plays for England.”


Let’s hope he can keep that positive attitude. 


Rima Ahmed, who works for BBC Radio Leeds, took a selfie wearing an England shirt and captioned it:


“Never thought I’d wear this shirt but from standing for radial equality to feeding school kids, this squad have made clear that they represent ME.


For anyone who ever used these lions to scare us, take a good look.


THIS is England.


And if you don’t like it, YOU go home.” 


Both of the above were published before the match, as was this from 

Michael Rosen:- 


“In the spirit of goodwill before tonight's game, let me say, molte grazie for Boccaccio, Gallileo Gallilei, Michelangelo, Garibaldi, Gramsci, Angelo Donati, who tried to protect the Jews (incl my father's uncle+aunt) in Alpes-Maritimes during WW2), Sophia Loren, Dario Fo, Taviani brothers...”


No doubt there will be all sorts of analysis as to why England lost - if you don’t learn from your mistakes … and so on. Even the TV coverage by BBC and ITV has been analysed: 


“Both sides’ coverage offered insight and tear-jerking moments but, like the game itself, the result came down to tiny details.”


And that’s it. It’s all over … until the World Cup comes along next year. 


So now we can get back to worrying about other stuff - Covid, restrictions  (to lift or not lift?), global warming with wildfires in California again, protests in Cuba about their economic crisis, and a whole host of other things.


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment