Monday 17 January 2022

Poultry update!

Well, we still have our cockerel in the shared gardens, despite our having put out messages on social media and neighbourhood watch groups. He was sounding very close to the house again this morning, so when I returned from my walk I had a look for him. He wasn’t in our garden, nor anywhere obvious in the neighbouring garden. Then I spotted him, on one of the very lowest branches of a bushy tree in the neighbour’s garden, tossing his head back and cock-a-doodle-doing for all he was worth (not much as far as I am concerned, by the way!) 


Well, that answered my eldest granddaughter’s question: where does he go at night? She’s very soft-hearted, especially where animals are concerned. My first response to her question was, “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn!” I might even have worded it more strongly, not giving something else rather than a damn! But now we know he seems to use that bushy tree as a perch. In remain surprised that he hasn't frozen to death these last few cold nights. 


When I posted a photo on Facebook asking if anyone recognised him, one of my supposedly clever, witty friends gave the answer: it looks like a rooster to me! It’s always good to,get useful info from sarcastic friends. Her answer puzzled Phil; for some reason he thought rooster meant hen, based on his hearing of the song “Little Red Rooster” with a line about laying two eggs a day. He scoffed when I said I had always heard it as “too lazy to crow today”. Granted, I have form for mishearing song lyrics and making new and interesting versions, but I was pretty sure I was right this time. So I googled it:


"Little Red Rooster"


I am the little red rooster

Too lazy to crow for day

I am the little red rooster

Too lazy to crow for day


Keep everything in the farm yard upset in every way


The dogs begin to bark and hounds begin to howl

Dogs begin to bark and hounds begin to howl

Watch out strange cat people

Little red rooster's on the prowl


If you see my little red rooster

Please drive him home

If you see my little red rooster

Please drive him home


Ain't had no peace in the farm yard

Since my little red rooster's been gone


There you go. Vindicated. I’ll try not to crow about it. But oh, I do wish our  multicoloured rooster were also gone. His wake-up calls are much too early.


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment