Wednesday 20 January 2021

Out and about in the storm. Inauguration day thoughts. Role models.

I listened to Storm Christophe first thing this morning, if it was indeed Storm Christophe and not just heavy rain beating down on the roof. As storms go it seemed pretty mild but maybe we’ve just got off lightly around here. However, I thought about it and decided that if I was going out in the rain and wind - there is some wind but I’ve known a whole lot worse - then I would rather do so on foot and not on two wheels. On the one hand there was no knowing what state the Donkey Line might be in and besides, on the other hand the bits of my cycle ride on main roads would be more dangerous as speedy drivers notice cyclists less on very wet and dull days.


So I rooted out my waterproof trousers, donned my waterproof jacket and waterproof boots and I was ready to face the world! 

 

Here are a few photos taken close to the viaduct on the way to Uppermill, showing how full the river Tame is at the moment. 

 

But it wasn’t as cold as it has been. That won’t last: snow is forecast!




It’s inauguration day over in the US of A. Let’s hope it goes peacefully for them. Mr Trump has been pardoning people as he leaves office, a very American thing to do. 


On that subject, here’s a bit of Michael Rosen for today:


“Dear Dominic 

I see that Trump has pardoned old Bannon. Pity we don't have that system here. Well,  I suppose whacking some old bastard a peerage is our de facto equivalent. I'll bear you in mind. Missing you.  

Index in surplus flex 

Boris”


And here’s a message from Kamala Harris:-


“I have a message for all the little girls and boys out there who dream of growing up to be superheroes: Superheroes walk among us.


They’re teachers, doctors, scientists, vaccine researchers - and you can grow up to be like them too.”


Good words, Madame Vice President!


There’s been a bit of kerfuffle about Madame Vice President in the media because of a photo that appeared on the cover of Vogue magazine. As a result they’ve redone the issue of the magazine, making a special edition with a new photo. Apparently the original photo was deemed disrespectful. I looked hard at it and could’t work out what was so disrespectful. All I saw was a smart young woman against a pink background. So I read about it. Well, she’s wearing Converse trainers for one thing and she’s “casually dressed” for another.  Some people’s concept of casual is obviously a bit different from mine. What I think it comes down to is that she is not wearing very, very expensive designer clothing and so this belittles her achievement. Yes, she’s done well and is a role model to black girls all over the world but as the daughter of a biologist and an economist she’s hardly a black girl from the project. No, I am not saying anything against her, just reminding myself that to get anywhere in politics these days, in the UK and the US as far as I can see, you need to have had a minimum of privilege in your background. But, yes, she’s a lot less privileged than some and I salute her achievements and wish her well. 


And maybe one day she’ll get to be the first black woman president of the United States. Here’s hoping! Go and show them how to do things, Kamala!


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment