Wednesday 7 June 2023

Water problems and media stuff.

 This morning there is a cold wind. I regretted not having put my gloves on when I cycled to the market. But it didn’t rain on me and the sun made feeble attempts to break through and warm things up. Later in the morning I walked the long way  round into the village, so that I could pick up some stuff I didn’t have space for in my bike panniers earlier (and incidentally to boost my step-count as my Fitbit doesn’t recognise the distance I cycle to Uppermill as a valid contribution to my step-count - that’s the kind of nerd one bit of me is!).


On my way I met our milkman, still delivering bottles of milk around the village. We stopped and talked about the weather - a very British preoccupation - and the fact that pretty soon there will be restrictions on watering as it has been so long since it really rained. My water barrel is gradually emptying as I scoop out wateringcansful to water the pots of flowers on my garden wall. More importantly, my milkman told me his grass has mostly stopped growing and the watering hole his cows use is drying up rather alarmingly! If he has to take water from the national grid it will be rather expensive.


Meanwhile the breach of the Kakhovka dam means that a huge area of Southern Ukraine and Crimea have altogether too much water all over the place, with added danger from mines which have been unearthed by the floodwater and are now floating around. Not to mention damage to agriculture and resultant food supply problems! There’s a lot of discussion over who is to blame for the breach. Was it Ukraine? Was it Russia? Or was it a freak combination of bad weather and earlier damage to the dam? It’s likely we’ll never really know. 


But it’s another media storm! 


Here’s another. Much as I find all the fuss about Harry Windsor annoying and over the top and altogether unnecessary, last night as I watched the news I found myself feeling rather sorry for him. They interviewed the sports writer, Harry Harris (I think that’s who he was) who reported on or maybe wrote a book about Wagatha Christie, the Rebekah Vardy v Coleen Rooney case. He expressed his delight at what was going on with Prince Harry and the court case. He was really enjoying it and looked forward to the possibility of writing a book about it. Talk about Schadenfreude!! It was really quite nasty! 


I’m rather glad to be a humble ordinary member of the public!


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment