Wednesday 26 October 2022

Very contrary weather. Fairy rings. Personalised street furniture for PMs.

Yesterday in the mid-afternoon we decided to walk up the hill and catch a bit of sunshine. We all need our vitamin D. Of course, no sooner had we gone out than the sun went in. But we were on our way by then so we carried on up the hill to Dobcross and down the other side. At the bottom of the hill we decided to vary our usual walk by going back along the forest path.


There is a point in the path where it forks. The upward path leads back to the main road. Our plan was to take that route. For some reason I thought there was another turn-off a bit further along and so we continued on the lower path. I was mistaken. We were on the path that would take us behind the industrial development close to Delph crossroads. However, all was not lost. Following that path we came across a huge collection of fine red toadstools, a proper fairytale collection, ready for little creatures to dance around and have a party. 





Not the kind of fungus we would consider eating however. Shortly after we got home the sun came out again!


Today began with drizzle, only fine drizzle though, so I donned my waterproof, put the hood up under my cycle helmet and got ready to cycle to the market. Just before I set off I spotted the milkman and paid my bill - I like to stay in credit. The drizzle had mostly stopped by the time I set off and by the time I reached Uppermill the sun was starting to break through. I had a positively delightful ride home along the Donkey Line.  


Later I caught a bus into Oldham to collect a raincoat whose zip was being replaced. Just under £20 for  new zip as opposed to over £100 for new raincoat! I stopped off en route to buy new running shoes  (thus spending the money I saved by not buying a new raincoat) and walked the rest of the way into the town centre in the sunshine. As I arrived in the centre the rain came down in torrents. I was considering putting on my raincoat on once I had collected it if the rain continued and putting my less than waterproof jacket in my bag. That proved unnecessary as by the time I had popped into various other shops - Boots, Bodyshop, a stationery shop - the sun had returned. However, by the time I got off the bus for home the rain was back again. 


I reckon the weather changed as often as 10 Downing Street changed podium for Prime Ministers to speak from to address the nation. 


Apparently Tony Blair and co just used, a microphone on a stand, a bog-standard stand, nothing special, with maybe a makeshift shelf for notes. Then along came David Cameron who had a bespoke lectern made for him to address the nation. Theresa May had a slender, ladylike affair constructed for her addresses to the people.Then Boris Johnson had a different, more robust one made for him. Liz Truss may have only lasted a few weeks but she still managed to arrange for a fanciful, twirly-wirly one built for her. And lo and behold, she addressed the nation from that lectern which was then rushed offstage (off-street?) for yet another one for Rishi Sunak. 


What is it with these politicians that they need a personalised podium! It may be just a small amount of money in the wider scheme of things but it’s not really setting much of an example to a people being asked to pull in their belts?!?


Then there is the question of retiring PM honours. According to this article one of Liz Truss’s advisers has suggested that her advisers should be given honours! I am finding this hard to believe!


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment