Tuesday 25 October 2022

Missing the eclipse. Being efficient. Coping with invasive wildlife. Reacting to change.

 It seems I missed a partial eclipse of the sun this morning. That’s often the way with stuff that goes on in the sky - we usually just have too much cloud around here. It was actually quite bright and clear but even if I had remembered that it was due to happen I don’t have any of the necessary equipment to observe aerial phenomena. I did manage to get photos of a total eclipse projected through a colander onto the bedroom floor some years ago - a lot of effort for a not terribly satisfactory photo! That’s just how it goes. 


Apart from not seeing the partial eclipse, I was quite efficient this morning. I have to admit that it gets harder to get out of bed on these cooler mornings. It’s all very well the weathermen telling me it’s mild; it feels rather cool to me. But I got up and ran as usual and then set a load of washing on the go while we had breakfast. I optimistically hung the washing out in the garden and took myself off to Uppermill library on the bus. A quick skim of the library shelves, a quick chat with the Big Issue seller, a quick pop into the baker’s shop for bread and then I was on the bus home … in time to make coffee!


Granddaughter Number Two was complaining about fire drills at her university hall of residence this morning. At least she was not the student who was in the shower when the alarm rang. That poor girl has to stand outside in a damp dressing gown with her hair dripping on her shoulders. Granddaughter Number Two also told me quite proudly she had successfully shooed a wasp out of her window, presumably after the fire drill was completed. This was quite an achievement for the girl who usually squeals and runs at the mere hint that there might be a wasp around. Even worse if it’s a large spider! As I told her, it could be worse. The woman in this article had to deal with a snake trying to go in through her window! 


I read in this morning’s paper that there are plans to knock down and rebuild the ancient Marks and Spencer store on Oxford Street in London. Of course, there is opposition. Environmentalists and lovers of historic buildings say that the 90 year old building should be refurbished as it is a landmark on the famous street.  Besides, the proposed demolition and rebuilding would release almost 40,000 tonnes of carbon into the atmosphere! But M&S argues that refurbishment would not achieve the kind of experience modern shoppers want. Modern shoppers are clearly not very appreciative of fine old buildings. M&S might move away from Oxford street if not given their own way. Debenhams and House of Fraser have already gone, as have some smaller retailers. It seems many of these have been replaced with American candy shops and the famous shopping street is looking a little down at heel. I fail to appreciate the appeal of American candy! 


Most of us find change hard to deal with. And personally I think it’s a  shame when old buildings are not maintained. Debenhams stands empty on Manchester’s Market Street and just across the way the store that used to be Lewis’s many years ago, a fine elegant department store (in my opinion anyway), now houses Primark, a decidedly scruffier interior than the one I remember from 1970s. Cheaper, certainly, and probably catering to the demands of “modern shoppers” but not necessarily progress. 


Maybe I’m turning into a stuffy old fuddy-duddy! Heaven forfend!


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment