Wednesday 19 October 2022

Naming pasties. Virtual walks. Protests - here and in Iran.

I had a rather chilly but uneventful ride to the market this morning. Jenny, the cheese and biscuits lady, was absent and she can’t even use rainy weather as an excuse today. Today is not quite so spectacular as yesterday, which was amazingly fine and sunny, but it’s fine and dry. I rather hope this pattern of rainy nights and dry days will continue for a while. It makes life so much easier. It may not be so good for those who have to work at night but that’s how it goes. 


The delicatessen in Uppermill is selling what they call “Lancashire Pasties”, basically Cornish pasties but not made in Cornwall. It’s a bit like Cava not being able to call itself champagne! However, the bakery in Uppermill still calls its pasties “Cornish” and they are cooked on the premises, not made in Cornwall at all. I have often enjoyed the bakery’s pasties on picnics in the park with grandchildren. Very tasty they are too! At some point I must try a “Lancashire Pasty” to see how they compare.


I met an old friend on my way home. I’ve passed her on several previous occasions recently and not been sure it was her until I had already overtaken her but this time we were coming towards each other and so I had time to make sure I wasn’t greeting a total stranger as if I knew her well. She had to take her earbuds out to talk to me. Ah! I thought, another one of those people who can’t just walk but has to have some sort of extra stimulation. In this case it was Andrew Marr on a podcast. As for me, I prefer my own thoughts as I walk or ride along. She told me she is doing a virtual Land’s  End to John o’Groats walk, covering the same distance but not actually on the route at all. That would explain why I have seen more of her lately. She is now (virtually) 70 miles from her destination. Will she continue walking after that? Will she need a new virtual challenge? 


A neighbour and I have often remarked that we both just walk for the sale of walking. I often come across her when I’m out and about. As a rule she’s part way through a 5 to 10 mile hike. Another such is the mother of one of Phil’s former chess proteges. Our paths cross as she is put on a solitary walk. We have often commented on the fact that people are often surprised that we happily, and fearlessly, walk alone. I thought of this when I read this article. Granted the writer is talking about the difficulty of running after work, which is not a problem I have. As a retired lady I can schedule my runs and walks to suit me. Also, I recognise that we are lucky to live on the very edge of the Greater Manchester conurbation. It’s generally safer and quieter here than in the big built-up areas. We are fortunate people. 


George Monbiot has described the government’s Public Order Bill as “ the kind of legislation you might expect to see in Russia, Iran or Egypt.” He continues: “Illegal protest is defined by the bill as acts causing ‘serious disruption to two or more individuals, or to an organisation’.”


If you lock or glue yourself to another protestor, or to railings or some other object, you could go to prison for 51 weeks. That’s almost a year! It’s also twice as much as you can get for common assault. And they can monitor how many protests you have been on. Goodbye protesting! 


Meanwhile, there’s an Iranian climber who took part in a competition while not wearing her hijab, as she is required to do as an Iranian woman. There is some doubt as to whether this was an act of protest, in sympathy with so many Iranian women removing their hijab or cutting their hair. She has supposedly said that she forgot to put it on in her haste as she was called out to climb. But at the same time there are reports that her passport has been confiscated. We’ll have to wait and see where that goes. 


Religion surely should be about more than what a woman wears. Morality and “decent behaviour” is about more than what a woman wears. However, we mustn’t forget that less than a hundred years ago in this country it was expected that a “decent woman” wore a hat, or at least a headscarf, when she went to church. And neither should we forget that more recently than that some places in France have tried to ban women from beaches and swimming pools for covering themselves up too much with a burkini. Another case of a woman needing to be able to choose for herself!


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment