Friday 1 July 2022

Washing day. D.of E. Burning fields and unforeseen consequences.

This morning I went to pop something into the washing basket, only to discover that the basket was overflowing. Someone had been filling it up. It seemed to be a reasonably fine day, so before going out for my morning run, I put a load in the washing machine. On my return I showered and sorted myself out and headed to the kitchen for breakfast. That first load was completed. I pulled it out and put another load in, deciding to wait until after breakfast to hang the washing out to dry. Otherwise we might not actually get breakfast before midday. 


The next time I looked out it was raining! The washing is now draped carefully over driers - clothes maidens - why do we call them by that name? -  in the spare bedroom. The whole of that floor will now smell of the detergent I use. It’s a good job it is not an unpleasant smell. No doubt, now that I have done that the rain will stop and the weather will brighten up. This might be all to the good. I was hoping to make a trip to Uppermill to see if I can find a small something for my oldest granddaughter’s birthday next week.  


The damp won’t be welcomed by young people doing their Duke of Edinburg Award hikes. I came across a bunch of them recently when I took our youngest grandchild to the local park. Here is Adrian Chiles’ wry look at the award scheme.


He closes his column like this: 


“It is significant that if you see a group of young people out walking together with packs on their backs, it will only ever be because they are “doing DofE”. I don’t have data to support this, but I do a lot of walking and every time I encounter such a group I ask, with cheery sympathy, “DofE?” They grunt in assertion. The less pissed-off ones manage a nod and, occasionally, a smile. The group I encountered on the Wales Coast Path last week looked very much as if they’d like to push me and my cheeriness off the edge of the cliff.

I live for the day when I ask the question and someone replies, without eye-rolling sarcasm, thus: “DofE? What’s that? Oh no, we’re out walking and camping for fun because we really love it.””


The group I came across were all happily making lunch on little camping stoves. Boy scouts - and girl guides - let’s not forget them - used to have to prove they could light a campfire but I expect that’s consider too risky, not to mention environmentally unfriendly, these days. 


There was a time when a regular sight around here was fields of stubble being burned. I think the belief was that the ash actually acted as a kind of fertiliser for whatever was going to be planted next. As far as I know it’s stopped happening. The practice must continue in other countries because today I read this report:  


“Peruvian firefighters were fighting to contain a forest fire near the Incan ruins of Machu Picchu as the blaze threatened to close in on the ancient city in the Andean mountains on Thursday.

The fire, which had engulfed an area about half the size of Vatican City, was started on Tuesday by farmers burning grass and debris to prepare to sow crops.


As of Wednesday, about 20 hectares (49 acres) had been affected by the fire, the mayor of the nearby city of Cusco said.


Machu Picchu, a complex of stone structures sitting atop a mountain, was built more than 500 years ago by the Incas, whose empire controlled large swaths of South America from what is today southern Ecuador to central Chile.

The fire’s remoteness has hindered firefighters’ efforts.

“We have already been fighting the forest fire for two days and it has not been possible to get it under control, given the area is quite inaccessible,” said Roberto Abarca, director of the Cusco risk management and security office.

The breathtaking ruins, which have made the surrounding Cusco region Peru’s top tourist destination, are considered one of the new seven wonders of the world.”


We mean no harm but we are quietly destroying the world - in some cases maybe not so quietly!


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Ash contains potassium and phosphorous, and is good for fertilizing. We have a wood burning stove, and when we empty the ash, we spread it in our garden.

    ReplyDelete