Friday 15 July 2022

Watching and counting butterflies. Still not a heatwave but only spits and spots of rain.

Some time last year we went for a walk up Lark Hill, as we often do. On this particular occasion it was a fine sunny day, not too hot and not too windy.  Looking back, we had it in our heads that it was this time of year, with the buddleia coming nicely into bloom. However, the dates on the photos I took at the time suggest it was September, not July at all! What made it memorable was the buddleia bush we found absolutely teeming with butterflies! We’ve been up the hill a couple of times in the last fortnight but we have seen no sign of such a flourishing buddleia nor of such a fine collection of butterflies. Maybe it is too early in the year after all. 


Then today I read a report about an apparent decline in the number of butterflies feeding off buddleaia. So today people are urged to go out and take part in the great butterfly count. ““There seem to be more and more people getting out and doing the count but fewer and fewer butterflies for them to see,” said Zoe Randle, senior surveys officer for Butterfly Conservation, which coordinates the count.” However, I suspect there will  not be many to be counted in our neck of the woods as the day has been intermittently gloomy. 


Experts differ as regards fears of a drop in butterflies: “This year, many nature lovers, including the scientist Dave Coulson, have been sharing observations of insect-bereft buddleias, although others report an unchanged picture. Buddleias are often not festooned with butterflies until late summer when other nectar is scarcer.” So maybe September was more like it.


All seem to agree that watching butterflies is good for your soul: 


“Dr Amir Khan, an ambassador for Butterfly Conservation, said: “Spending time in nature is hugely beneficial to our mental health. Just a short amount of time spent in the natural world can alleviate stress, and connecting with nature can help us feel happier and more energised.

“Watching butterflies for just 15 minutes can be a wonderful and calming experience. It is good for you and benefits butterflies by helping Butterfly Conservation gather the important data they need to understand how to better protect these special insects. It is truly a win-win situation for all of us.”” 


There you go.


As regards the gloomy weather, I headed out in the late morning to meet my daughter and Granddaughter Number Two in Uppermill. I wanted to check out an outfit I had seen in a fancy boutique in the centre of Uppermill and Granddaughter Number Two decided to join me, today being her payday. My daughter and the smallest grandchild were going to be in Uppermill so we decided to meet and either go for a walk of stop off somewhere for refreshment. As I set out it was trying to rain on me! Not serious stuff but still “spitting” as we say around here. Certainly not enough to fill up the depleted reservoirs, or even the water barrel in my back garden. 


We met. Granddaughter Number two and I both found bargains of sorts. My daughter and the little fellow joined us and we combined walk and refreshment by following the canal towpath to a cafe. The sun came and went. The little fellow lost his cap, which blew off into a canal! A good time was had by all despite this mishap.


Instead of walking back into Uppermill with my daughter for her to then drive me home, I decided to set off walking up the hill to Dobcross and down the other side into Delph, not much further than the walk back into the centre of Uppermill. I phoned home but Phil declared himself too busy walk out and meet me half way. 


As I crossed the road at the bottom of the hill, a hundred yards from home, it started spitting with rain again. We’ll see how it goes!


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment