Wednesday 6 July 2022

Urging change. Accepting change. A bit of reminiscence.

If Boris Johnson did not remember being told about the Chris Pincher allegation in 2019, as has been claimed, then what else does he not remember being told? Is he suffering from dementia? Is it all an act? Is he fit to govern? So many questions!!


Some of his ministers and MPs appear to be asking some of the same questions. However, their motives might be suspect, as is suggested by the MP Zarah Sultana (Labour) reminds us:


“Just so we’re clear: Sunak, Javid and all other Tory MPs abandoning Boris Johnson aren’t acting from “principle” or “honour”.


They’ve known what he’s like from the beginning. 


They’re abandoning him because they now think his leadership threatens their interests. That’s it.”


Or maybe, I reflect, they’re putting up a kind of notice that they would like to take his place. 


Opinion appears to be divided as to whether these resignations will lead to the downfall of the PM. Or is he sufficiently non-stick to get away woth appointing new people, doing a cabinet re-shuffle and carrying on as usual. We shall see! But nine ministers or junior ministers have now gone! And in the  House Sajid Javid has just called on him to resign! We shall see! 


Meanwhile, back in my bit of the real world, I woke up to a rather grey morning and decided I should put my waterproof in my bag when I cycled to Uppermill market. When I opened the back door to take my bike out I reviewed my plans and decided I needed to wear my waterproof. It wasn’t so much raining as seeming as though the cloud had come down to our level. But I was organised for cycling, and so, after a quick chat with the milkman, off I went.


The young woman selling the Big Issue outside the hardware shop was looking rather damp and miserable. There seemed to be nobody around, she told me. I was the first person she had spoken to. I bought her a drink and a snack from the co-op store and went on my way.  


The market itself  was seriously depleted. The man who sells slippers and not very fashionable shoes had not put out the display of second books he sells for charity as it was too wet for them. His shoes and slippers were under plastic sheets. Jenny “cheese and biscuits” was a no-show, which is often the case when wet and windy conditions are around. As she wasn’t there, neither was her side-kick who sells scarves, face masks and fans. Someone had set up a small table selling plastic ducks for a duck race for  the Saddleworth Yorkshire Day, but it didn’t really fill the space. The fishman had a notice advising us that he will be away for the next two weeks - going to Albufeira in Portugal in search of sunshine. Even the fruit and veg man’s stall looked bit sad but I did buy some strawberries! 


I wondered about this “Saddleworth Yorkshire Day”. There is still a sizeable group of people who have not accepted the boundary changes that came into effect in 1974, making Saddleworth part of Oldham and thus part of the new Greater Manchester. There is still a hankering for the White Rose! So I googled it and found this: 


“THE TRADITIONAL Yorkshire Day celebrations will be held on Sunday, July 31 in Uppermill. The event will start with Delph Brass Band playing in the Museum Gardens around 11.15am, followed by speeches by invited dignitaries. This year the 'Yorkshire Declaration' will be read at 11.41am (it moves one minute later each year) by Delpher Gilbert Symes. Then there will be a parade along High Street led by the band to King George V playing fields for the 'Country Fair'.”


So now we know! 


As I waited for people to pass on the side street where Alimentari Alberti, the Italian greengrocery, is situated, someone stopped and hailed me. “Didn’t I used to know you, about 40 years ago?” she said. Well, yes, she did. We went to National Childbirth Trust classes together in 1980. I’ve seen her around a lot but never in a situation where I could stop and talk. Back in the early 1980s, after our daughters were born, we met for the occasional reunion but didn’t really move in the same circle. Then we both went back to work. And time moves on. So we had a chat and will probably do the same on future occasions, having reestablished contact. 


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment