Monday 1 March 2021

Washing. Mist. Swans. Camping. Travel?

In an act of supreme optimism, or perhaps spring madness, I have hung washing out to dry in the garden. It is highly likely that I will have to hang it up again indoors later to finish off but hanging it outdoors gives me the feeling that maybe winter is coming to an end. After all, it is now March. I do, however, have frozen finger as a result of dealing with wet washing in the open air! You can’t win them all!


At around 7.30, when I looked out, the sky was blue and the sun was shining, although not yet directly on us as that hill I have mentioned before was in the way. There was frost in the garden again. When I got out of bed, probably an hour later, the fog or mist or low cloud had moved in. By midday it still didn’t know whether to be sunny or cloudy. 



There were swans on the millpond this morning. Proper swans, not the “swoose” who is there all year round. The “swoose” is a white goose with almost, but not quite, swan-like wings. My Spanish sister needed some persuading last time she visited that he is not actually a swan. Ever since then we have called him a “swoose”. He is definitely, not a swan but does seem to think he might be a kind of honorary Canada goose. He follows them around, trying to be one of them and one year was clearly helping in the care of the goslings. But this morning’s swans were the real deal. I have no idea where they came from but it would be a fine thing if they decided to nest by the millpond and we were to have cygnets. We shall see!


Some people have been inspired by the fine weather to go camping, an activity still against the Covid rules and regulations. Somewhere in North Yorkshire, near Whitby, two,adults and a child set up camp on a cliff edge. The police were alerted because of the Covid regulations but then the emergency services went to warn them of the dangers of falling off the cliff, not just individually but the whole shebang - tent, family and all - as that bit of coast is apparently notorious for bits of it falling into the sea. 


The photo in the news report shows the tent perched in the most precarious position. It would not be my choice of campsite at all. Nor would camping at this time of year be my choice of a weekend away. Too many years ago to admit to I remember doing a Duke Of Edinburg’s Award practise camp not far from here in early April. I have never known such a cold night. The other teacher and I zipped our sleeping bags together for warmth and piled our coats and other clothing on top of us. The girls on their tents had done much the same. Those were the days! 


After that I only ever camped in the summertime!


There are warnings that foreign travel may not be possible this summer after all because of the Brazilian variant of the virus getting into the country. I have heard of appeals for stamping passports to be reintroduced so that travellers cannot sneakily come from hotspot countries by devious routes. The idea is that this should be possible as there are fewer people going through passport control at the moment. 


Wait and see!


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment