Sunday 14 March 2021

Stuff about Michael Rosen

Here’s a quote from Michael Rosen:-


“I gather (from a clip of Question Time I saw) that the press may be racist but the Mail on Sunday is not.”


And here’s Michael Rosen in his alter ego form:-


“Dear Dominic

I am overbloodyjoyed to be in a position to say the Elgin bloody Marbles are ours. If there's one thing that makes me proud to be British it's knowing our forbears got hold of stuff like that and rendered it unto the British Caesar. 

Gloria in excelsis oreo

Boris”.


He’s got a book out: “I am not who I was”. I understand it’s all about his experience of surviving Covid 19, which came very close to killing him by all accounts. He’s pretty sure that he caught the virus because of the government’s delay in taking measures to shut our country down a year ago. “What were they thinking in February and March?” he asks, “I was going around on tubes and buses, packed full of people. I was going into schools, kids coming up to me, signing books.” 


He’s one of many people who would probably have avoided being close to others, breathing their germs, if the government had put some urgency into keeping us all apart instead of visiting hospitals and boasting about shaking hands. And he has no intention of letting the government off the hook, tweeting daily reminders: “Yes Rishi,” he writes in reply to the chancellor’s pre-budget tweet on 2 March. “One year ago, your government was still playing about with the idea of herd immunity without vaccination. The result is that tens of thousands of people have died and thousands more affected, some of us for life.”


His book seems to be a collection of poems and comments and diary entries. Here’s an example:


“A doctor is standing by my bed
asking me if I would sign a piece of paper
which would allow them to put me to sleep
and pump air into my lungs.
‘Will I wake up?’
‘There’s a 50:50 chance.’
‘If I say no?’ I say.
‘Zero.’
And I sign.”


And here’s another: 


“Recovery


Very poorly.
It’s something they say about me.
Every so often a doctor or nurse
stands by my bed and says,
‘You were very poorly.’
I’m starting to expect it.
They often seem pleased – surprised almost –
that I’m less poorly.
I get the feeling that some people
who were very poorly, died.
I didn’t die.”


Here’s a link to more, if you want it. 

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/mar/13/i-am-not-who-i-was-michael-rosen-on-surviving-covid-extract

I think it makes quite moving reading.


Fortunately he didn’t die, as he said. He’s still around to comment on what’s going on and hopefully to write more books for children.


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment