Monday 8 March 2021

Connected at last!

Well, we woke up this morning to no internet. The whole area has a BT connection problem, which BT promise to solve within the next 22 hours. We can’t even blame it on all the children home schooling and doing lessons online as today they have all gone back to school. We’ll see what that does to our nicely falling contagion rates! 


When this happens you realise how much you rely on that internet connection. I can deal with email on my phone, using my mobile data  but I really don’t like reading news on my phone screen. How do young people manage to watch films and shows on their mobile phones? I am amazed! But then I am often amazed by young people and have to remind myself that we were probably regarded as equally strange and outrageous by our elders and betters back in the day. 


Depending on how quickly or slowly BT works I may not manage to Zoom my Italian class this afternoon, which is annoying! But there is little point in railing against stuff you can’t do anything about. I have lots of other things to keep me busy. 


Yesterday my small granddaughter left me Baby Ivy’s dress so that I can take measurements and make her some more clothes. Baby Ivy is a baby doll with Chinese features. Our half Chinese granddaughter requested a “baby doll that looks like me” and so Baby Ivy joined the family. When we go for walks I am frequently regaled with reports of Baby Ivy’s progress - how well she has been sleeping, what she likes to eat and so on. But her wardrobe is limited and so I have been called into service as a seamstress. Fortunately I have a collection of odds and ends of suitable materials. 


The other day I read that David Crosby is selling the rights to his songs. He’s not the only singer-songwriter to do so. Bob Dylan and Neil Young have both sold rights to some or all of their collections recently. David Crosby explains that as musicians are unable to perform live at the moment they need to supplement their income in whatever way they can. Now, I fully understand that struggling young performers are having a hard time but I would have thought that the likes of Mr Crosby would have amassed enough cash to keep them going through this time of crisis. I somehow believed that most of the singers and performers of my age continued touring and playing gigs not because they desperately needed the money but because they simply love performing, getting that buzz from being on stage playing to a live audience. Maybe I am too idealistic, or just plain wrong. Or maybe the California lifestyle is just too expensive!


Anyway, there it is! I don’t have to worry about such things. Our pensions suffice for our current modest lifestyle. 


Goodness knows when this will be posted but ... 


Finally reconnected late afternoon. 


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment