Saturday 6 March 2021

Communication. Sneaky social media observing and eavesdropping. Milk deliveries ... and more!

In one of our combined messaging sessions between me, my daughter and the two oldest granddaughters the other day, the older granddaughter started going on about cleaning products and eco-friendly stuff. Various brand-names were bandied about and the qualities and aromas of different types were discussed. It’s an odd kind of conversation to have with a 23-year-old but there it is. 


When I looked at Facebook some time later, but not significantly later, I discovered my page bombarded with adverts for eco-friendly cleaning products! I know that Messenger is owned by or is otherwise linked to Facebook but it’s still rather creepy and futuristic that it happened so quickly. I sometimes wonder if they listen to your phone calls as well or even eavesdrop when you just have normal face to face conversations. Certainly if you look up something on the internet! Up pop the adverts for it. the most extreme it seems that you only need to think of something and the ads appear! Just because you’re paranoid,it doesn’tmean they aren’t looking for things to advertise to you!


It’s not as funny, however, as the fact that Facebook frequently offers Phil a service where he can see photos of attractive women in this area. And he rarely uses Facebook. The other frequent hing he receives are adverts for flying-ace style bomber jackets. How odd! He is a recent Facebook joiner and I now wonder what he put on his profile to provoke such things. 


Who needs to worry about microchips being injected with the vaccine? Big Brother seems to be doing a good job of watching us as it is. 


Our milkman occasionally delivers unexpected and unasked for items as well. Long ago we had a regular milk delivery, which we may only have cancelled when we went off to live in Spain for a while. On our return to the UK we were still travelling around so frequently and so irregularly that it wasn’t worth having milk delivered. Too much hassle informing the milkman of our plans and risking observant burglars working out that no regular deliveries meant we were away. But as lockdown became longterm we decided to set up delivery once more. It’s easier than carrying bottle of milk from the co-op and besides, the milk is locally produced. 


Very early on the milkman clearly decided that we need half a dozen (unsolicited) eggs on a Saturday morning. Not a problem - it means I don’t buy them from the co-op, and the eggs are good and fresh. Occasionally he forgets us and I have to phone and ask where our milk has got to. The son of the family blames his father (maybe my age or a bit older) and says he is getting forgetful. The other day there was a tub of double cream alongside my bottle of milk. I never buy double cream but fortunately I had baked an apple pie so it did not come amiss. I just hope it doesn’t become a regular feature like the eggs. And maybe one of the neighbours is wondering what happened to her pot of double cream.


Incidentally, as I typed apple pie my iPad automatically capitalised apple. Is this product placement!?


It’s another fine day here, cloudy but still dry. Yesterday I spotted plants for sale at the Old Toll House, a house converted into cafe and mini-garden centre, on the road up to Dobcross, I had  no money with me but I plan to return today, maybe combining a socially-distanced family walk. 


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment