Well, I managed to get up and run at a reasonable time today, a big improvement on yesterday. However, it rained on me, not very heavily but rain nonetheless! Even though it is Wednesday I decided not to go to the market in Uppermill, my usual Wednesday morning event. I already have fish in the freezer and one of my current aims is to keep track properly of just what is in my freezer. It’s easy to forget just what is in there and end up with no more storage space. And need the space as I have several bags of apples, collected from the wall on the lane where they are left by the anonymous ‘Appleman’. My intention is to peel and cook them and freeze the stewed apples until time comes for another apple pie.
Now, athough I am a regular Facebook consulted (one of the older granddaughters declares that Facebook is now for older folk like me, keeping me on touch with old friends and reminding me about birthdays) I try to resist downloading extra apps and such things as Spotify and TikTok. Well, I have just come across #ShowerTok.
It seems that #ShowerTok has a number of followers devoted to a trend known as ‘double cleansing’. Apparently you need to shower twice, using a different product each time: “The first cleanser removes sweat, sunscreen, deodorant, excess oil, and odor-causing bacteria and the second provides another level of cleansing while restoring moisture, supporting the skin barrier or delivering an active ingredient,”
One advocate of this procedure assures us, “Double cleansing will change your life. I think double cleansing is the most effective thing I have added for my shower. I just smell better, feel clean.” Oh boy! She must be quite paranoid about the possibility of smelling bad. I’ve seen advertisements for face-cleaning products, advocating a cleanser to remove your makeup and a lotion to remove all traces of the cleanser.
Maybe you need such things if you wear ‘professional’ level makeup every day but on the whole, like double cleansing in the shower, it all sounds like another excuse to take money off gullible people for lots of products they don’t really need.
I write all this in total awareness that I have my own collection tried and tested lotions and potions which form part of my daily ablutions routine! But there are limits!
I am reading singer/songwriter Carly Simon’s memoir, prompting me to go through our vinyl collection and replay her early albums. i have just reached the point where she marries James Taylor, whose early albums I also need to seek out and listen to again. Writing about marrying James Taylor, she says: “looking back, we must have intentionally made our decision to get married only four days before the wedding, leaving us no time to fret about the details. Twenty-four hours before the ceremony, James’s lawyer, Nat Weiss,arranged for the license, the limousine and the Wasserman test …”
It was the last bit that puzzled me. So I looked up he Wasserman test and found that it was an antibody test for syphilis. “During the mid-20th century, in many jurisdictions, including most US states, applicants for a marriage license were required by law to undergo a Wassermann test.”
Wow! What a way to take the romance out of running off the get married quietly!
Hey! ho! Life is full of strangeness.
Here’s a little cartoon about the possible future of the world:
Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!


No comments:
Post a Comment