Wednesday, 2 September 2026

September. Shopping. Sunflower. And terrorist-related arrests.

So here we are, two days into September already. Time is rushing past!


I’ve been taking a photo of my favourite tree at the start of each month. Here is September’s picture.



Yesterday I went into the town centre as I needed to go to Waterstone’s bookshop to buy a book token for Granddaughter Number Four’s birthday, which is today. Suddenly she is of an age to want to choose books for herself. In a week”s time it will be her small brother’s birthday. And in between my daughter-in-law has her birthday. Like buses, birthdays come in threes this week.


I was also looking for a ‘happy anniversary’ card to send to my son and his wife. Yet another event in the same week! Anniversary cards are hard to find, especially now as the displays everywhere are full of Christmas cards. Yes! Christmas cards! I can hear Granddaughter Number Two complaining that we haven’t got Hallowe’en out of the way yet.


The buses yesterday were particularly frustrating. I went to the crossroads bus stop in plenty of time for a specific bus. The Bee App for Greater Manchester travel told me it was minutes away but then it disappeared from the app completely. Getting on the next bus, a good 30 frustrating and boring minutes later, I asked the driver what had happened. “They put the windows out”, he told me. Which I presume means that someone broke the bus windows and so the bus was cancelled! And so a quick trip into town turned into a rather longer expedition.


This morning’s bus to the supermarket was more punctual but because of roadworks was diverted and I had to get off rather sooner than usual and walk down the hill. So it goes! At least the rain kept off until I got home.




The stray sunflower that randomly appeared in a plant pot in my garden is trying hard to open up. Maybe it will manage to bloom before winter gets here.



Now for more serious stuff. I read yesterday that official data indicates that almost half of all terrorism arrests in great Britain since the 9/11 attacks on the twin towers in 2001 have taken place in the last year - a sudden increase that coincides with the proscription of Palestine Action. Since the 2001 attack there have been 6,539 arrests for terror-related activity in Great Britain. In the year ending March 31st 2026 there were 3,021, according to the Home Office. Amongst the arrested were rather a lot of respectable retired people! 



Ruth Ehrlich, the director of external relations at Liberty, said: “The staggering increase in arrests over the past year is the clearest indicator that the UK’s counter-terror laws are not fit for purpose.”


Indeed! 


I’ve also seen reports of homes being raided, homes of respectable retired people, and items such as Palestinian flags being confiscated! When did it become possible for such things to happen? Respectable retired people are protesting! 


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment