It was quite sunny and mildly warm when I ran round the village this morning. It was still sunny when I took a photo of my self-planted sunflower, which has developed quite nicely. I’ve been documenting it’s progress. It will be interesting to see how long it lasts before it starts to fade.
By lunchtime it was raining.
I have just been surprisingly impressed by our GP practice’s online booking service. As a rule I find this service extremely frustrating but today I submitted a request for a routine appointment with a specific member of the team and received an appointment date and time within five minutes. Result!
It’s 71 years since Emmett Till was tortured and murdered by the family of a woman he whistled at. He was a 14 year old black boy who had the audacity to whistle at a white woman in Mississippi. Here’s a link to an article about an exhibition of photos in memory of that young man.
How sad that what was undoubtedly intended as an expression of admiration should lead to such an outcome. It’s a sad indictment of our society, as is the fact that we need reminding. It’s important to remember events such as the death of Emmett Till in order to fight against such things being allowed to occur again nowadays.
On a less serious note, here’s a link to an article about bananas, and how blending bananas with blueberries in a smoothie may remove the benefits the blueberries might have for our health. I like bananas. I usually have a small banana with my breakfast. Apparently they contain potassium, vitamin B6, vitamin C, manganese and magnesium, along with about 3 grams of fiber per medium fruit. But most of all, a ripe banana is very tasty.
While we need to be aware of which foods are food for us, or otherwise, it is possible to go overnoard in analysing all the food we eat. I have already stopped eating grapefruit, which I have enjoyed eating for years and years, because they actually prevent adsorption of medication prescribed by my GP. Very annoying!
We’ve grown used to the fact that tourist destinations abroad impose a tourist tax. Now I’m reading about a tourist tax in the UK. Here’s a bit of imp formation:
“The UK tourist tax is not a single national tax—visitor charges are set locally, with the rules varying by nation and by city. In England, there’s no nationwide tourist tax, but some cities already run voluntary accommodation schemes (like Manchester and Liverpool) and mayors are expected to get new powers to introduce an overnight visitor levy.”
Anyway, here are a couple of cartoons on that subject:
Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!





No comments:
Post a Comment