Wednesday 25 September 2024

Wider protests at the disappearing lids. Recognising the famous. Blessings. And continued conflict.

Just recently I commented on the how annoying it is that products such as hummus and various ‘dips’ no longer come in pots with lids but with annoying cellophane covers - difficult to remove when you put the stuff on the dining table but quite likely to be pierced by some other product in your shopping bag! Who eats a whole pot of such stuff in one sitting? I wondered. How do you store the leftover without it spilling in your fridge?


It seems I am not alone in my disgruntlement. Here is a headline from today’s Telegraph newspaper:


“The great hummus revolt: We want the lids back on, say shoppers.

Tesco and Sainsbury’s change packaging to cut down on single use plastics.”


I didn’t read the article. I only ever skim the headlines online as the Telegraph requires a subscription.


As I skim the news online I often copy the link to article which might be of interest again later, sometimes just as a reminder to myself to get indignant or amused about whatever topic came up. I looked back this morning at one I had saved about someone called Jeremy King, apparently an A-list restaurateur, whatever that means, wondering why I had saved the link. He talks to his interviewer, among other things, about famous people visiting his restaurant. It was the final paragraph that had amused me: 


“One day at the Wolseley, I was chuffed because at two separate tables there were Nobel prizewinners. I went down to the kitchen and I was pleasantly surprised when a chef said how fantastic it was ‘to have them both in at the same time…’ I said ‘Wow, that’s great I’m so pleased you have noticed them.’ There was a short pause and the chef said ‘Yes I can’t wait to get home to tell the wife that both Ant and Dec were in tonight.’”


Well, I suppose some people do find the annoying Ant and Dec impressive!


In between watching drama series on TV we have watched a video of The Highwaymen - Willie Nelson, Johny Cash, Waylon Jennings and Kris Kristofferson. Some great songs. One thing that struck me as they finished with a cry of “God bless you” was the easy relationship that American performers have with God. It’s not just performers either  but also politicians. “God bless America” trips off their tongue in a way that “God bless the UK” does not trip off ours. 


Did Keir Starmer finish his conference speech with a ‘God bless you all’? I don’t know as I haven’t listened to it, but somehow I doubt it. We sing *God save our gracious king” (when we remember it’s no longer ‘God save our gracious  queen) and we have collective worship in schools but we don’t seem to go round blessing groups such as audiences. I wonder why there is that difference. Maybe it’s the British stiff upper lip that makes even believers a little embarrassed to talk about it in public. 


Mind you, I seem to remember comedian Dave Allen finishing each of his shows with “May your God go with you”. But maybe that was the Irish in him!


As Lebanon seems to be getting the same treatment as Gaza, I wonder whose idea it was to warn people to leave their homes so they could be bombed, and then target the roads those refugees travel along. We live in disturbing times. And here are a couple of images, possibly Banksy or maybe Banksy-inspired:




Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment