Wednesday 30 June 2021

Local wildlife in my garden. Oldham in the news. School attendance. Football success!

Working away on the computer yesterday, sitting at the kitchen table with the back door open to let in some of the summer air, I spotted movement out of the corner of my eye. Ever since the incident with the inquisitive blackbird hopping in through the back door recently, I have been more or less on wildlife alert. Don’t get me wrong. I really appreciate wildlife. I just don’t want it in my house if it can be avoided.


This time it was a squirrel, looking pretty much as if he was about to take a nose dive into the water barrel. I didn’t manage to snap a picture of him at that point but I did catch him perched on the edge of the water butt. The problem is that the water level in there is very low. I’ve been using it to water my pots of plants in the garden and so it is no longer up to the brim.  



It was suggested by members of the four-way Messenger chatline that perhaps the squirrel was trying to get the leaves and grass and stuff my smallest grandchildren deposited there on Sunday afternoon when they were making a “magic potion”. However, on reflection, I think the squirrel was just thirsty. It might have been raining in the London area but we’ve  not had a lot here in the North West of the country, just the odd splattering overnight from time to time. So I put a plastic tub of water out on the garden wall, doing my bit help the local wildlife. 


It could be worse. In some parts of Canada and the USA they have temperatures up to 50 degrees C. In some places in the States they are cancelling firework displays for the Fourth of July celebrations for fear of wildfires!


Coincidentally, my oldest granddaughter told us she had a squirrel in the pond in her garden, possibly for the same reason. I doubt that it wanted to look at her frogs!


They are talking about our town on the radio news. All over the country there is a crisis about attendance at school. Covid bubbles are bursting and children are having to self isolate because of being in contact with a coronavirus case. One school in Oldham currently has 42 members of staff absent and out of a possible 1200+ pupils they had 700 turn up,this morning. The rigmarole they go through to ensure that messages go out when a case pops up is amazing. I have great admiration for today’s teachers! 


Added to the problem is the fact that some children simply haven’t returned to school. Our children are suffering!


But, hey! England has got through to the next stage of the Euros! Masses of people were able to go to Wembley to watch them. So all is well! Hmm!


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment