Friday 4 June 2021

Cricket. Equality. Supporting local businesses.

This morning as I ran past the local cricket club on my circuit of the village, I saw masses of youngsters in groups with adult trainers, practising their cricketing skills. Nice to see so many youngsters wanting to play. Even more pleasing was the number of girls busy training! I can’t say I have seen any female cricket players in the games that are now being played most weekends. But perhaps it takes time for changes to work their way through. 


It’s not that I particularly want to play cricket. Indeed I objected furiously to being made to play cricket when I was at school. I felt the same reluctance to play hockey. Any game that involves a ball hard enough to kill you if it hits you seems a bit excessive to me and should be avoided. This is probably why I am happy to take my exercise by running. But if cricket goes on, it should be on a gender-equal footing!


Long years ago Phil played on the staff cricket team for the boys’ grammar school where he worked. I used to take along a book or my knitting and watch ... or more likely not watch ... the game.


The test match between England and New Zealand began on Wednesday at Lords I believe. And they have spectators. On the radio news on Wednesday I heard them interviewing people on their way into the grounds. They were very happy. A busker was playing Jerusalem on the trumpet outside the grounds, almost reducing one cricket fan to tears of sentimentality. 


At any other time than this time of restrictions and lockdowns I would be tempted to comment that the tearful fan should get out more!


The test match continues until Sunday I think. I hope they are having the kind of weather we have been having here. 


After a rather dull start we have had another fine and sunny day. And this being Friday, we have been on a family Diggle Chippy Hike. All good stuff!


My daughter was concerned that we should continue this tradition - for it has become a family tradition - because reports suggest Diggle Chippy is struggling. 


A new secondary school is being built in Diggle village, replacing the old and decrepit Saddleworth School building in Uppermill. Diggle is a ribbon development village, basically a long row of houses along the main road, with now a number of newer housing estates built up the hillside. 


When the new school is opened the road will struggle to cope with the extra traffic: school buses from all over the area, not to mention the inevitable four by four vehicles of many doting parents. So work is also going on to widen the access road. As a result the main road into the village is partially closed at present. The chippy is losing passing trade. Indeed, if it were not for the workmen on the various building sites they might be going under. 


Hence my daughter’s wish to support the chippy as much as we can. As long as we have fine Fridays, we are happy to keep on having Diggle Chippy Hikes!


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment