Monday 7 June 2021

House sitting. Near misses. Venice.

Today I am at my daughter’s house. She has carpet fitters working here. Usually her partner works from home and would be available to deal with the workmen if they need any information. Today, however, he has had to go into the office to deal with training new staff. Her 18 year old daughter, very reliable for such things, has a zoom interview for a temporary job. Before her interview starts she will need to apologise for any banging going on in the background as the workmen get on with the job. Her 16 year old son could at a pinch be relied on to deal with any problems but he had already arranged to go and meet a friend for the day. So I have been called in as a kind of house sitter and to hand over a cash payment to the carpet fitters when the work is completed.


My travel plan was for me to walk some way along the bus route to a point where the bus that goes through the village at 9.26 would arrive after 9.30. That way I could use my bus pass, rather than paying about £4 for the bus ride. Call me a cheapskate if you will, but bus fares around here are crazy. That part of the plan worked fine.


Before I set out, it occurred to me that I should check to see whether the milkman had delivered milk this morning. I could then put it in the fridge, rather than risk it standing on the doorstep in the sunshine if Phil should forget that a delivery was due. I opened the front door. My empty bottle still stood there but I could see the milk float about ten hards away. I waited for him to approach my door and realised that what he was doing was getting back into his float to drive off. I had been forgotten again! On more than one occasion I have had to phone and remind them that they left me out. So there I was, running along with an empty bottle in my hand, calling out to the milkman to stop. A neighbour joined in and I managed to get my bottle of milk. 


That was a near miss that got sorted. We had one that didn’t work yesterday afternoon. For some time now we have done a walk that takes us up the hill to Dobcross, down the hill, and following a circuit make our way home again. At one point our route goes up some steps through a sort of alley, what they call a ginnel around here, between some houses. The steps have been festooned with wild flowers and for weeks we have been planning to take a trowel with us and dig up particular plants to replant them in our garden. Yesterday we finally remembered to take the garden tools and a bag to put the plant in. We arrived at the steps only to find that someone had cleared all the growth from all the steps; someone had been weeding. We were too late! Another time, probably another year!


I have read that cruise ships are returning to VeniceThe plan was that they would not be allowed through the Grand Canal but the alternative port has not materialised yet. It’s frightening to see ships as tall as the tower in St Mark’s square chugging past and making waves. I’m not fond of that tower but the city should not risk being destroyed by cruise ships. Apparently tourists are returning to the city. It’s getting crowded again. I am so glad we saw Venice before it became overcrowded by excessive tourism. 


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment