Tuesday, 18 August 2026

Storks and herons. And odd reactions to the heatwave.

 Some time last week white storks raised in captivity were released into the wild in Cornwall, in the hope that they will settle down and breed. What a good idea!



Storks are amazing birds. On visits to Spain and Portugal I have spent huge amounts of time watching them, spotting their untidy nests in unusual places and taking photos of them.


We don’t have storks in our region … yet … but we do have herons. Here’s a photo of our local heron who has grown used to being fed by the people whose balcony he perches on. They believe, probably mistakenly, that this will prevent him from disembowelling ducklings and the like. As for me, I suspect he’s just taking advantage of their generosity. But so far he doesn’t seem to be biting the hand that feeds him.



As the heatwave seems to have abated, at least in the North West of England, I read that Reform UK’s Richard Tice has said that we should embrace the heatwaves and climate change as all of this will improve British wine.



That’s all for this rather late posting. I’ve spent part of the day in Manchester and then we were invaded by our daughter and her offspring. Nice to see them after their holiday in Cyprus.


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment