Yesterday it rained … rather heavily.
It probably didn’t rain for long enough to replenish any reservoirs but more than enough for my daughter, three of her offspring and a cousin to be soaked to the skin sitting outside a cafe for lunch. They only sat outside because there was no room inside and Granddaughter Number Two reportedly complained at first that it was too hot sitting in the sunshine. But then the rain came and everyone needed a complete change of clothes when they arrived home.
This morning it was decidedly cooler but not sufficiently so to merit the remark I overheard one lady make in the market: “There’s a nip in the air!” We’ve not quite reached that point yet. However, I did wear my raincoat for the first time in weeks and weeks. And I was right to do so as it protected me from a coolish wind and, besides, it did start to rain, albeit briefly, as I was on my way home from the market.
It’s quite amazing how we have adjusted to having a “proper” summer: my daughter and co out and about without raincoats yesterday and the surprising number of people out and about this morning with bare arms and shoulders, now complaining about feeling cold!
Here is an old photo of Manchester Central Station in its heyday, in the 1950s I think or maybe even earlier. It’s a long time since it was a station - 1969 I think. Nowadays it’s an exhibition and conference centre, known for some time as G-Mex but now called Manchester Central. In 1963, the building was Grade II listed for its special architectural or historic interest, which probably explains how it survived and was not demolished.
In the foreground of the photo tramlines are visible. Apparently horse-drawn trams operated in Manchester from the 1860s.
The system was electrified as early as 1901.
By 1949 the system was worn out and would have cost too much to replace. It had already been decided to scrap the trams in 1937, but the war intervened. Consequently, disused routes provide thousands of tons of steel for the war effort.
Construction for Metrolink began in 1992. The old tramlines were long gone and the first line to open ran on existing heavy rail lines. That is from Bury to Victoria station and from Deansgate to Altringham in the South. Furthermore, a street-level line was constructed to link Victoria station with Picadilli and Deansgate/ Castlefield. There you go,
And here’s something about Manchester Piccadilly railway station. I can vouch for the fact that the platforms mentioned are as far as they possibly can be from the station forecourt. So it goes.
Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!






No comments:
Post a Comment