Wednesday, 26 August 2026

Another icon gone. Land redistribution. Disruption to normal service.

So it’s goodbye to Solly Parton. Which rich person is going to take over her role as philanthropist, providing education and books for disadvantaged children? She will be missed.



I read something the other day, something I’ve not been able to relocate, about a solution to the food crisis is to make it possible for more families to grow their own food, or at least some of their own food. Part of the argument wos that there are vast tracts of land, held for example by the National Trust or by various members of the royal family, land which is not doing anything much other than looking beautiful. People could be given pieces of land and encouraged to cultivate it. What it don’t say was how families struggling to make ends meet and maybe working two or more jobs would find the time to do this. 


I was reminded of a young couple I knew long ago who wanted to be self sufficient, a noble aim, but they were fiercely resentful of the fact that nobody was prepared to give them a patch of land to live on and to grow stuff. So it goes.


We are currently hosting a huge family group. My Spanish sister, her daughter and two grandchildren have come to stay. The local family members are of course joining in the fun. Consequently my posts are going to be somewhat intermittent over the next few days.


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment