Wednesday 31 July 2024

Summer. Late ducklings. Victims of violence.

Summer seems to have decided to stay here for another day at least. As I have been out and about today people have been telling me the weather is due to break soon. We shall see. I must say, it’s very pleasant cycling to the Wednesday market in the sunshine rather than the drizzle. That’s two Wednesdays on the run I’ve been able to do that.


I left an empty milk bottle for the milkman and a bag full of bottle tops, which I have been saving up to return to him since he told me there was no need to put the screw top on the bottle to return it - just throw it out, he suggested. However, my recycling head thought that maybe if he had a large number returned at once it might be worth his while to re-sterilise them. Anyway, he seems to have taken them away. But, perhaps overwhelmed by receiving so many bottle tops, he forgot to leave me a bottle of milk! So it goes!


So later in the day I walked into the village to buy milk. I walked the long way round, past the old mill ponds. On one of them there were tiny ducklings. It seems late in the year to have new ducklings but an acquaintance who lives close to the millpond told me Mrs Duck had lost one brood earlier in the year, possibly eaten by the heron we see around here. He suggested that this was a replacement. Maybe so!



I doubt that the duck in question is really consciously trying to replace her brood; more likely nature has decided that duck population needs a boost!


The lost children who are victims of disturbed young men armed with knives or of vengeful soldiers firing missiles at schools and hospitals can’t be replaced quite so easily.


And now it looks as though Israel is targeting other places, apparently determined to have a wider war. We shall see. The world has gone crazy.


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment