Friday 7 July 2023

Routine stuff.

 My routine - get up, run round the village, go home and shower, have a leisurely breakfast, write my blog and then get on with the rest of the day - has been severely disrupted in recent weeks. Between requests to accompany people to medical appointments and house viewings, visitors arriving to stay for several days at a time, it’s been difficult to keep to any kind of schedule. Not that I’m complaining. It’s nice to see people but it’s also nice to get back to normal.

 

Having said that, this morning began with a suggestion from my brother-in-law that today we should do a Diggle Chippy Hike. We’ve not done that for months. He’s been busy scuttling around Europe following Marillion, the musical group. And then he had problems with his foot. Not to mention Phil’s problems with a wonky knee. But today everyone felt fine and the sun was shining. So off we went. Perfect timing as the chippy will be closed for the next two weeks while they go on holiday. Here are some pictures of our walk home alongside the canal. 







The sunny weather is worrying the climate people and the environmentalists. We’re have hotter and hotter days. 


Down in London, they are having their British Summer Time concerts in Hyde Park. I think it will be a hot time to stand in the park but I must say I have enjoyed such concerts in the past. Yesterday apparently Roger Federer was there watching Brice Springsteen. Did he have to stand in the queue to get in? Or was he a special guest? 


Thinking of tennis, I hear that after Just Stop Oil activists scattered jigsaw pieces over the courts of Wimbledon the other day, they have stopped selling jigsaws in the Wimbledon gift shop. I didn’t even know they had a gift shop. So it goes.


Here’s a link to an article about made up languages, the kind of thing you get in Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, and so on. I was amused to discover that you can learn these languages, or at any rate some of them, on Duo lingo. I especially liked this motivation someone gave for learning an invented language rather than a real one: ‘I’m learning Na’vi because I feel like I can, but if I tried to learn Navajo, which is also very interesting and complex, I would feel like it’s cultural appropriation.’

Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment