Tuesday 29 November 2022

A rather muddled Tuesday - the best laid plans and all that sort of thing!

 After yesterday’s blue sky and sunshine, today we have had fog! All day fog! At one point my weather app told me, “fog starting in 30 minutes”. Thirty minutes, my eye! It started foggy and stayed foggy.


I had the day pretty well organised. I ran round the village in the fog first thing, having put a load of washing in the washing machine before I set off. By the time I had arrived home and showered, that was ready to hang up to dry and I was able to put load number two in the machine. 


After breakfast my plan was to go into Oldham to collect boots and shoes from the cobblers where I left them last week for repairs. It was quite late morning when I set off. My route through the town centre was carefully plotted: get off the bus near the library, walk to Sainsbury’s to buy, among other things, a Christmas cake, walk up to the market, entering by the far end so that I could buy some good fruit, stopping off at the batteries and lightbulb stall, and finally collecting the boots and shoes before walking to the bus station to catch the bus home. Buses no longer go through the town centre you go to the bus station or you walk to the farther end of town. Hence the carefully plotted route. 


At the cobbler’s I came across the first set-back: one pair of shoes was not ready as they had had difficulty obtaining the necessary type of soles and heels - cue for a little moan about Brexit. 


On the bus homeward I phoned Phil. He had an appointment for physiotherapy for his knee and it was likely that at Delph crossroads he would get on the bus I was about to get off. Our paths would cross at the bus stop. I suggested that I take my various shopping items home and then catch the next bus to meet him at the doctor’s in Uppermill so that we could perhaps walk home together.


As I got on the later bus Phil rang me. Because of some kind of mix-up his 2.30 appointment had been cancelled, but no-one had alerted him to this. So they rescheduled him for 4.00 - hardly time to get home without immediately turning round to catch the next bus to Uppermill. As I was already en route we decided to meet in Uppermill as arranged and change our plans accordingly. 


A visit to the library was a possibility. Oh, no, it wasn’t! The library had a notice on the door: “The library is closed today due to unforeseen circumstance”. Now, today is Tuesday. On Tuesday our daughter takes her two youngest children, one after the other, to age-appropriate drama activities, spending the time that each is busy being dramatic in the library choosing books with the other. So Phil and I went and had coffee and a snack and I alerted our daughter to the library problem facing her. 


In the event she dropped one child at drama, met me with the other child in the playground, where we played hide and seek in the foggy gloom, while Phil saw his physiotherapist. Then she gave us a lift home before sorting out the further activities of her small children. 


And here I am. The day is coming to an end and I am listening to the news on the radio. So it goes. 


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment