Wednesday 31 August 2022

Where yesterday went!

So yesterday was quite crazy and disappeared down a kind of wormhole. I got up quite early, stuck a load of washing in the machine and set off for a run round the village, stopping at the coop for a few odds and ends. 


On my return I hung the washing out to dry, had a shower, got dressed and organised the attic bedroom for the arrival the southern branch of the family. They were coming to visit: third time lucky as on the two previous occasions visits had to be cancelled at the last minute because of covid at one end of the family or the other. We hadn’t seen each other since my son’s little girl’s birthday in March. They hadn’t been here since last Christmas. In the case of my daughter-in-law, she hadn’t been since last summer because at Christmas time her mother was desperately ill. All are well now and the visit was going ahead.


We had a late breakfast. I baked a cake. I made some savoury odds and ends. I tidied the kitchen. Just at the time when I thought I might sit down and write a blogpost, Granddaughter Number Two turned up with The Smallest Granddaughter. We did some painting. We played some games. 


And then the rest of the family turned up: the southern branch and then my daughter with Granddaughter Number One and the small boy, grumpy from a busy day at nursery. It was clear that my plans for feeding my son and his wife at a civilised hour after their little girl had gone to bed needed to change. We were now having a huge family meal. Granddaughter Number Two went home to shower and have an early night as she is working early today. Grandson Number One, who rarely seems to emerge from his room, stayed home with his computer. But my son-in-law arrived later on the bus. 

 

A grand family reunion, with only a couple of absentees. After we had eaten, the small people finally went to play in the garden, laughing and chasing and doing cartwheels - well, the eight-year-old was showing the smaller ones now to do cartwheels! Finally my daughter’s lot departed, the eight-year-old was packed off to bed and we sat and chatted before giving in ourselves and retiring for the night. 



I woke up very early this morning from ridiculous anxiety dreams about having to address a group of people who politely sat and didn’t listen and didn’t respond to any questions. Besides, I had no idea what I was talking to them about and, although I was aware that I knew then all well, I had forgotten all of their names. Clearly that’s what comes of running round being busy all day. So, as I was awake and obviously not going back to sleep, I decided to come and post this blog, before another day of mayhem ensues. 


Today we plan a family ritual walk round Dovestone reservoir, a local beauty spot. There might be photos tomorrow.


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment