Saturday 2 November 2019

Figueira -day 7.

This was going to be a blog full of photos. A whole range of stuff I have not got around to adding this week because I have still not worked out how to add photos when I post from my iPad. And yes, I know there must be a way but whatever it is escapes me.

So I wait until I get my hands on the laptop. Which is nominally our laptop but is in practice Phil’s laptop since he uses it far more than I do. Consequently I have never learnt how to use the thing properly. Oh, I can do what I want to do, such as add photos to my blog, but outside of that level of activity I am as clueless as can be.

So when I went down to reception in the hotel, where we can normally actually connect to wifi and the laptop wasn’t cooperating I had no idea what to do. I couldn’t even find “settings” so that I could ask the receptionist to assist me.

So here’s some other stuff instead. And I feel like a total numpty!

Sitting last night in the bar of the hotel where Phil is playing chess, I listened to their Saturday night Live Music offering: a competent guitar player singing covers of loads of English language songs:

Wonderwall, My girl, You’ve got to hide your love away, among others. Why so much in English? Are there not enough songs in Portuguese?

It seems we are having an election before Christmas.

Jo Swinson has been waxing optimistic on the chance of winning hundreds of seats.

“Our polling show that we are within a small swing of winning hundreds of seats, because the political landscape is so totally changed by what has happened in our country post-Brexit.”

 “Within a small swing”, hmm!? Swinging can be dangerous!

Parliament is about to be dissolved because of the upcoming election. Over the last few months parliament has been on a summer break, been prorogued and now dissolved, does it ever function?

Then there is Labour’s optimism! “McDonnell said that while Labour had initially been resistant to an election, the party was ready.

“We wanted to give the government a chance to bring forward its bill. But they curtailed the time, and so all we could say was at least let’s get no deal off the agenda, and that’s what happened. So, let’s bring it on,” he told BBC One’s Breakfast. Asked about poor poll ratings for Corbyn, he said: “So many people have tried to write Jeremy Corbyn off. They tried to write him off before the last election, and he transformed the campaign. And I think that’s what he’ll do this time. We’re up for it.””

 In the lap of the Gods, I fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment