Tuesday, 6 October 2026

Silly weather. Communication within the NHS. Tourism problems. How to be a qualified influencer. French students.

So we’re almost a whole week into October. We sometimes have several seasons in one day. It’s often a bit dull early in the morning (well, at an hour which is early for a slugabed like me). By midmorning the sun has tried to come out and the very air warms up. So today my washing is out to dry in the garden again). When the sun goes down later in the day, which it inexorably does a little earlier each day, the temperature plummets! So it goes.


This afternoon we are going to have flu vaccinations at our local pharmacy. Even though we have this organised I keep receiving texts from the NHS telling me I have a message from the GP’s surgery. As I have a routine appointment with my GP tomorrow I always open the message, going through all the routine annoying security checks, just in case my GP has some pressing reason to cancel or change my appointment. Every time I have done so the message has been  a reminder to make an appointment for a flu vaccination. Somehow the bits of the NHS do not talk to each other.


I have often commented on the problems of electric bikes and electric scooters in city centres. Well it seems that Rome has an extra one: golf carts! Some enterprising individuals have discovered that there is money to be made from giving tourists a ride round the city in a golf cart. Money to made from people too lazy to walk to the ancient sites, discovering interesting things to look at en route, or too frightened to venture into the public transport system. And other drivers are complaining that the roads are clogged up with these golf carts. The authorities are working out how to get things back under control!



We were talking about tourism-related problems in the Italian conversation class yesterday, specifically about people who don’t really look at paintings in galleries but just stand by a famous work of art and take a self - would be influencers! 


Well, it seems that you can study to be an influencer. I read that Nottingham Trent University has a degree in “content creation”, aka “the influencer degree”! The “three-year course comes with BA (Hons) status and a top-tier price tag of almost £10,000 a year, for which students will learn “hands-on technical production”, “analytics, branding and commercial strategy” and collaboration with brands and “industry partners”. Course leaders are at pains to point out it won’t turn them into overnight social media stars.” However, I’m sure that those who are shelling out a huge £30,000 are hoping to make the money back. The world is crazy! 


In France students, presumably not on “influencer” courses, are continuing to cause chaos, and brandishing reminders of revolutionary times past




Now, here’s a nice cartoon about RAF Fairford.



Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment