Thursday, 8 October 2026

Reactions to the weather. Memorable nostalgia key. Trees. Spain’s housing crisis. And word.

4° - that’s the temperature given by the weather app on my phone at about 8.00 this morning. It proved to be a beautifully crisp morning.



Granddaughter Number Two had already expressed her opinion of this; “I am loving the chill in the air this morning! Finally feels like autumn.” She was up even earlier, on a train to York at 7.00, taking pictures of the sunrise. 



She is definitely a glass-half-full person, whereas her older sister, more of a glass-half-empty person, was just complaining about how cold it was. 


Firther to my comments yesterday about people purchasing relics/mementos of the rich and famous, here is a photo of a key.



This is the key to Paul McCartney’s childhood home in Liverpool. It has just sold at auction for £6,100, three times the pre-sale estimate! I assume that the current occupants of that house have a different lock on the door. The just sold key has apparently been owned by Beatles fan Kathy Salt from New York for decades. If she has had it for decades, presumably she is now of an age when she feels like getting rid of some clutter and maybe needs a bit of extra cash in her retirement. Good for her!


Now, I love trees. I have a favourite local tree, a horse chestnut, much photographed. This year I have been taking a picture at the start of each month, with the plan to display all the photos, showing its progress over the year. 



So here is a photo of an Irish tree, this one a wych elm, 150 years old, blown sideways as a young tree and continuing to grow sideways since then. It has just been named “tree of the year”.



My friend Colin in Galicia has been commenting in his blog (here’s a link) about the ongoing housing crisis in Spain and the demonstrations taking place in many places. This morning I read that María del Carmen Abascal, known on the media as Maricarmen, the old lady evicted from the flat where she had lived for 70+ years, the lady who became a symbol of the crisis and the protests, has died in hospital at the age of 87. I read that she was sending messages of support to the protesters.  “I would like to be there with you all,” she said in a video shot from her hospital bed. “But I’m not that lucky. So from here, I ask you all for courage and to fight and defend what is yours.” A strong woman!


For some light relief, here’s something a friend of mine posted on social media ;


“We’ll take this to the energy zone.”

“Let’s triangle back on that,”

“Put that in the idea fridge.”


No-one reacted. Everyone just nidded like it was completely normal. I figured it was some corporate lingo I missed.


Day two, I hear: “We’ll verticalize that bandwidth”.


I write it down to google later. Nothing. 


By day three, I’m starting to use them too. “Yeah, we should put that in the idea fridge”. People nodded. i felt included.


Friday rolls around. He pulls me to one side and goes;

“I’m making them all up.  No one knows what they mean”. 


HE GOT THE ENTIRE TEAM TALKING NONSENSE. Even the manager threw out “triangle back” in a call.


Now the whole office is trapped in fake jargon with no way out.


I respect it. I fear it.


Well, they say that if a lie is repeated often enough it is accepted as truth. Clearly the same applies to spoof expressions.


Life goes ln. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment