Today it has rained sporadically. We returned home from our amily mini-holiday, dodging from our accommodation to the car avoiding showers. After we arrived home I had to choose my moment to walk into the village to replenish basic supplies from the local co-op store. I suppose I could have asked my daughter - our driver of the trip - to stop briefly in the village on our way home but we’d already had spent some fraught time loading the car - too many people with too much luggage - so we opted for her to simply drop us off at home.
Before we went away I had asked our milkman not to make a delivery on Friday. I was quite relieved to find he had remembered that request; part of me was afraid we might return to find two bottles sour milk on the doorstep. And I had taken our supply of fresh fruit away with us, so I needed to do some basic shopping.
It rained on me as I walked back from the village. There has been enough rain to refill the various puddles on the path that runs through the industrial estate. I have not yet checked whether it has gone any way towards refilling our garden water barrel. So rain has been falling. Hopefully it will help to completely extinguish our local wildfires!
As they’re still talking about the possibility of having to evacuate the whole of Bordeaux and as Madrid is still surrounded by fire, and as race organisers have shortened the finale of the Tour de France in Paris today, after security forces were redeployed away from the capital to help battle wildfires near Bordeaux, maybe it’s time we spent more on preventing wildfires than on worrying about Russia attacking Europe!
In Cuba they’re still experiencing almost constant power cuts, adversely affecting so many aspects of life there, including water supply to homes. Here in the UK we take our electricity and water supply for granted most of the time, erupting into indignant outcry if something prevents it happening. Here’s a link to an article about life in Cuba, where people are having to go and fill containers with water. This is the 21st century!
However, there are reports of China providing and installing solar panels to provide sources of power. But, of course, such power supplies need the right kind of infrastructure. Just another complication to overcome. But an example of cooperation and another reason for Mr Trump to rage against China.
It seems that our new Prime Minister wants to establish alternative government offices in Manchester, dividing his time between the North and the South of the country. Here’s a little cartoon reflecting on that possibility.
Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!



No comments:
Post a Comment