Friday 19 January 2024

Snowy runs and walks.

It was a bit of a surprise to look out on a fresh fall of snow this morning. When I last looked out last night the sky was clear and we had a very bright half moon up there. The cloud must have moved in at some point, dumped the snow on us and moved on, because it was bright and clear again this morning.

 

I decided to take the risk and go for a run, putting on an extra layer as my phone app told me the temperature was - 3°. It was surprisingly unslippy. 

 

There is a small pond alongside the path through the trees. Yesterday Granddaughter Number Two spent some time throwing stones at it to see if she could break the ice. 

 

Mostly the stones just bounced. 


This morning the ice was covered in a layer of thin snow. 


 

 

As I stopped to take a photo of the snow-covered ice I realised that there was a message from Granddaughter Number Two on my phone. Did I want to meet her and her mother at the Limekiln cafe, one of our favourite haunts? Well, first I needed to go home and shower and change but further investigation revealed that they were in the library with her small brother, not yet in the cafe. Also, they were waiting for a shop to open at 10.00. Plenty of time then. 


So, after my ablutions, I set off along the Donkey Line, taking photos as I went.


 

 

 

 

 

 The cafe is next to the canal, which was frozen. As I approached the last stage I noticed people waving from the bridge over the canal: daughter, Granddaughter Number Two and Grandson Number Two. 


We had a leisurely mid-morning breakfast and then headed for Tesco to buy a few things not available at the local co-op store. Tomorrow rain and wind is forecast and somehow the prospect of shopping in a storm is not appealing, even if the temperatures are due to rise. Well, I suppose they are rising. It’s not so much getting warmer as becoming less cold. This morning -3° is now apparently up to +3°. It still feels pretty cold though.


Life goes on. Stay safe and warm and well, everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment