Thursday 10 August 2023

A walk along the canal to Diggle.

Some time ago I tried to arrange to take an old friend for a canal path walk, from The Lime Kiln Cafe (at the crossroads where Uppermill and Dobcross collide) to Diggle. Once we had agreed to do the walk, after she had seen some photos I had posted, the weather changed. The day we pencilled in turned out to be dull and damp so we abandoned it. 


Last week we looked ahead and decided that today would be the day - a day of sunshine before another cold, wet front moves in. 


So I got up early, showered, did some washing, had some breakfast, hung out the washing and finally set off. We were meeting at 11 at the Lime Kiln Cafe. I had given her directions and a post code for her satnav. There should have been no problem. It was a beautiful morning. All along the way up to Dobcross and down people told me what a nice day it was and how ai should take advantage as tomorrow will be wet


 

At 11, I stood at the entrance to the carpark at the cafe. No sign of my friend. A stranger approached me. “Are you waiting for a small lady with grey hair?” she asked me. “She overshot. Now she’s parked by the Navigation Pub and is walking back this way.” I tried to phone her. Her aged mobile didn’t have enough volume for her to hear me, or maybe her aged ears were malfunctioning. By the time I’d established contact of sorts, I could see her.



We had a bit of a sit-down before we set off from the Lime Kiln, through the canal tunnel and along the towpath, choosing the shady side as it was getting quite warm. 


 

 

 

There were some fine reflections as we passed the houses on the other side of the canal.


 

I thought my friend might decide she had gone far enough and want to turn back at some point along the way but no, we stopped for the occasional sit-down but then carried on … and on. And suddenly we were at Grandpa Greene’s cafe, Diggle, where we might have had a coffee but for the fact that they only offered seating for people having meals. Coffee was only available as a take-out! How silly! 


We went on our way, arrived at the famous duckpond and then headed back on the opposite side of the canal.


Back at the Lime Kiln eventually, we had our coffee. Again they were a bit slow to serve those who were not having full meals. What is this obsession with eating?


Having set the world to rights, we went our separate ways.


I collected wild flowers on the Donkey Line as I walked home, meeting the couple who used to run Oliviccio, the deli in Uppermill, until it closed down a couple of months ago. They looked relaxed and positively rejuvenated by having the freedom of retirement. Retirement is definitely to be recommended for those of us who can afford it. 


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment