Sunday 5 March 2023

Photography. And the importance of names.

I spent some time yesterday evening hunting for photographs, specific photographs, not just any old photographs. Our Italian teacher bravely took 28 sixth form students to Italy during the half term holiday. I’ve done that sort of trip myself in the past, so I am aware of possible problems. This particular group of 28 are from Italian-origin families here in the UK so that there is really no problem of their not understanding the language. But still, it’s quite a responsibility. They were based in Pisa, a small enough city to permit giving the young people some freedom to roam. From Pisa they visited Florence, Lucca, and Viareggio, where they got tangled up in carnevale.


Having shown us some of her photos during last week’s session, she suggested that this week we might like to talk about our experience of just one of those four places during tomorrow’s class. I wanted to find photos of our visit to Florence at Christmas 2005 - a very cold visit to Florence! The photos were, of course, in the last place I looked. (We all say stupid stuff like that when inevitably what you are looking for is going to be in the last place as that’s when you stop looking!)


I found a very large number of photos of other holidays, family occasions, gatherings of old friends before I found what I was looking for, so that I can show some of my Florentine photos to the conversation class. At some point I must share those photos with other members of the family. In recent years, probably since I first had a decent camera on my phone, I haven’t printed many photos. Granddaughter Number Two subscribes to one of those apps that allows you to print a certain number of your phone photos every month. She has built up quite a collection of photo albums now. Maybe I should get a similar app rather than having all my photos floating randomly on the cloud. 


On the subject of photos, here’s a link to an article about someone who has spent a decade taking photos of Dolly Parton lookalikes. I suppose there are worse subjects for photographic projects.


Among all the odds and ends of stuff that pop up on online news I came across this about the chocolate bar Toblerone! 


 “The image of the Matterhorn mountain peak will be removed from Toblerone packaging after some of the chocolate bar’s production is moved outside Switzerland, meaning it falls foul of marketing restrictions relating to the use of Swiss iconography.”


Produce using Swiss iconography or Swiss names must be made in Switzerland. However, according to this article courts in the USA have ruled that it’s perfectly all right to call cheese produced in that country Gruyère, even though said cheese has never seen Switzerland. Switzerland is complaining of course. 


This is rather like the pasties sold in the deli in Uppermill. They call them “Lancashire pasties” in order not to fall foul of the naming police who might object to them being called “Cornish pasties”, as they are patently not made in Cornwall. The bakery a bit further along the road from the deli have no such qualms about their pasties. The French managed to insist on champagne only being used as a name for the sparkling wine from Champagne but they have not managed to stop Lancashire brie cheese being on sale here. Much ado about nothing.


Life goes on. Staybsafe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment