Saturday 4 March 2023

Being a knitting guru. The mystery of why buses are sometimes late. Presidential activity?

 In my capacity as knitting guru I have spent part of today at Granddaughter Number One’s house. She has progressed from knitting squares to knitting fingerless gloves and now to knitting a sweater. Before she began this project I taught her how to cast on properly using the ‘thumb method’ (experienced knitters will know what I mean) and we have discussed the best way to weave in a fresh ball of yarn when it becomes necessary. Every so often the instructions flummox her and she ends up in a bit of tizzy. Hence my visit to her house to sort her out today. She is a self-confessed starter of projects and giver-upper if there are too many complications. But we sorted out the current difficulty. All is well.


I caught the bus to her house from the crossroads not far from our house. My timing was fine; I saw the bus go up into the village and so only had a few minutes to wait for it to circle round the housing estate at the top and come back down to the crossroads. It’s a good half-hour’s ride but I had my sudoku book with me and settled down. At one point I looked up and did not recognise where we were. Well, I recognised it but it wasn’t where I expected to be. The bus-driver had neglected to take a left turn pas Greenfield Station and was happily trundling along on the route of a completely different bus. 


A passenger who had rung the bell, hoping to alight by the railway station, alerted him to his error as he pulled in to the next available stop. “I’ll have to turn round,” he declared. Easier said than done! He had to continue for quite a distance before coming to a crossroads wide enough to turn a double decker bus around. He must have been driving on automatic pilot. Goodness knows where we might have ended up. The next time I am waiting for a bus which is clearly late I must remember that the driver might have simple mistaken his route!


Some time later, knitting problems solved, I caught another bus homewards, stopping off at Greenfield Tesco to replenish our stocks of Boddington’s beer, which the local co-op store does not sell for some unknown reason. 


I walked home from there, meeting Phil half way. We are getting our exercise, meeting our step goals.


Two American presidents have been in the news. Former President Trump has released a recording to streaming, in which he reads the oath of allegiance, interspersed with a male voice choir singing ‘The Star-Spangled Banner’. The choir was made up of men imprisoned for their part in the January 6th attack on the Capitol. Apparently this “move is the latest in a growing trend by Trump and others on the far right of US politics to embrace the January 6 attack on the Capitol as a political cause and portray many of those who carried it out as protesters being persecuted by the state.” Oh boy! You could not make it up.


Meanwhile President Biden and his lady wife have been much discussed because they went to a restaurant and both ate sausage ragu, hardly the most exciting dish in the world, perhaps, but surely not a reason to call in culinary experts to suggest where the couple were going wrong and how they should at least have each ordered something different, if only to share the dishes, as happened on last might’s Radio 4 PM programme. Is this really in the public interest?


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment