Wednesday 6 April 2022

The return of mud. Dwindling market. Travellers’ tales.

It wasn’t raining when I woke up this morning but rain was forecast for later. So i decided not to linger waiting for the alarm to ring again after I had snoozed it, but got up and got organised more or less straight away. And off I went on my trusty bike to the market at Uppermill. 


As I approached the patch of waste land just before the entrance to the Donkey Line bridle path I thought for a moment that access was completely blocked off. From a couple of hundred yards away it looked as if someone had built a wall across it. In fact it was a great barrier mound of dirt, maybe three or four feet high and stretching across most of the entrance, leaving just a narrow section you could walk through. Maybe the owner of the land has farther plans. Maybe he wants to deter from parking their cars on the area. I watch with interest to see what else transpires!


That patch of waste land and, indeed, significant stretches of the Donkey Line have reverted to mud patches again in the rain of the last few days. It had been drying up nicely. I suppose all good things have to come to an end. But at least this morning the rain kept off until I had returned from Uppermill.


The market was very sparse again this morning: just fruit and veg man and the fish man. Across the road, someone selling plants and flowers takes up the whole area in front of the church but somehow he never quite seems to be part of the market proper. It is to be hoped that other holders will recover from whatever ails them soon. Otherwise the square just becomes yet another parking space in the village centre. It’s possible,  of course, that the stall holder who sells shoes and slippers has gone off on holiday. He does this from time to time. And consequently he might be stuck in a queue at the airport waiting to get through security or waiting to collect his luggage. 


Meanwhile, the manager of Manchester airport has had enough and has handed in her notice. “Having taken on the position at the start of the pandemic, she has decided now is the time to return to the south of England, where her family is based, to pursue fresh career opportunities,” Manchester Airports Group (MAG) said in a statement.


And here is an airport story from across the pond. I have no idea if this is a true story or just anew urban myth but it tickled my fancy when ai found it on social media.


“It happened at a New York Airport. This is hilarious. I wish I had the guts of this girl. An award should go to the United Airlines gate agent in New York for being smart and funny, while making her point, when confronted with a passenger who probably deserved to fly as cargo. For all of you out there who have had to deal with an irate customer, this one is for you.


A crowded United Airlines flight was canceled. A single agent was re-booking a long line of inconvenienced travelers.


Suddenly, an angry passenger pushed his way to the desk. He slapped his ticket on the counter and said, "I HAVE to be on this flight and it has to be FIRST CLASS."


The agent replied, "I'm sorry, sir. I'll be happy to try to help you, but I've got to help these folks first; and then I'm sure we'll be able to work something out."


The passenger was unimpressed. He asked loudly, so that the passengers behind him could hear, "DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHO I AM?"


Without hesitating, the agent smiled and grabbed her public address microphone. "May I have your attention, please?", she began, her voice heard clearly throughout the terminal. "We have a passenger here at Gate 14 WHO DOES NOT KNOW WHO HE IS. If anyone can help him with his identity, please come to Gate 14".


With the folks behind him in line laughing hysterically, the man glared at the United Airlines agent, gritted his teeth, and said, "F*** You!"


Without flinching, she smiled and said, "I'm sorry sir, you'll have to get in line for that, too."


Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.”


There you go.


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment