Sunday 1 November 2020

Reflections on a new lockdown.

So here we are, approaching a new full lockdown. Well, almost a full lockdown because schools and colleges and presumably universities are still open. We can’t meet people from other households indoors, unless we are in a bubble, although some outdoor contact is possible. But the rule of six seems to have bitten the dust. So Phil or I, but not both of us together, will be able to meet one friend or one member of the family for a walk. That means my daughter can meet one of us but cannot bring any of her offspring along! And our tentatively rearranged Diggle Chippy Hike with my brother-in-law is probably a no-no! 


It’s all very depressing! 


People are already moaning about the lack of Christmas markets. Goodness, I just realised that this time last year they were just about ready to set up even thought Christmas is still a couple of months away. The Christmas markets have been cancelled in Germany as well - that’s where a lot of ours originated. Personally I think they are seriously over-rated, lots of stalls selling much the same stuff, some of it little more than tat. Okay, there are usually some little gems in the middle of all that. I found a really nice bread stall the year before last. But the idea of going to the crowded Christmas markets in Manchester’s Albert Square, for example, to have some greasy food and an over-priced mug of glühwein has never appealed to me. But in Germany, I have heard, fans of glühwein have invented their own term for taking a flask of it on a walk in the forest: Adwaspaglüh.


I just love German vocabulary!


My daughter and I have just planned a walk today, even in the rain if necessary, as it may be the last occasion we can do a family walk for a good while. Lockdown begins at Midnight on Wednesday and continues until December 2nd but the slimy Gove has admitted that it  may need to be extended. So she is picking up her anxious eldest offspring, who is very concerned that she might not be able to see any of us for weeks, and we shall head out for a mini adventure.


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment