Tuesday 27 October 2020

Rain and more rain! Hallowe’en decorations. The oddness of America.

It’s raining again. 

 

One of my nodding acquaintances tried to console me by saying that today’s is only light rain but even so ... I have had enough of rain for the time being! 

 

It’s a good job our neck of the wood looks good even in the rain.


Out and about I am seeing lots of Hallowe’en decorations, although yesterday’s photo probably showed the best of them. This is a new development and is perhaps trying to equal Christmas house decorations. I always wonder about the pumpkins that people have carved into strange faces and left on their doorsteps or gateposts. Have they at least used the inside of the pumpkins to make a pumpkin pie or some similar dish? At a time when there are people going hungry it would be a shame to just throw the innards away. 


Anyway, here is a selection of Hallowe’en pictures. I think people have perhaps gone to town a little this year as they will not be getting together for any kind of celebration. Not that I really hold with celebrating Hallowe’en. It’s one thing for a country to have a tradition of going to clean up family graves for All Saints’ Day - a tradition we don’t have here, by the way! - and quite another to start sending Hallowe’en cards and putting up banners wishing everyone a Happy Hallowe’en. Where did that come from? Well, I think we know the answer to that. But I digress; here are the pictures.






Well, the Americans have sworn in Amy Coney Barrett as a high court judge. Much has been said about her intelligence and so on but I wonder about the intelligence of anyone who could have anything to do with associations that believe in conspiracy theories. But then I have read that more than two dozen candidates for Congress in the US elections have endorsed or given credence to QAnon or promoted QAnon content online. And at least one of them is expected to be elected to the House of Representatives next week. So there we are. But it’s their country, not mine!


Somebody sent me a link to one of those “word of the day” sites. Here’s what it gave me:-


Word of the day is “pinchfart” (16th century): a miser; one who withholds money to the detriment of others.


I think we can all think of some candidates for that moniker!


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment