Saturday 3 October 2020

Adventuring with a baby-carrier. Stormy weather. POTUS?

We eventually got to test-run (test-walk? test-hike?) the baby-carrier back-pack yesterday. Our daughter turned up with 75% of the granddaughters - the other 25% is our son’s daughter so she had no chance of joining us as she lives in Buckinghamshire - and 50% of the grandsons - one is the baby destined to go in the backpack and the other is the rather anti-social “I am playing games online” teenager. Technically I suppose we broke the rule of six - Phil, me, daughter, officially grown-up granddaughter, teenage “I’m almost a grown-up” granddaughter and four year old “I think of myself as a grown-up” granddaughter plus one year old grandson - but as one of our number was in the backpack we went for a walk anyway.


As we wanted to try out the backpack we took a right turn by the Pooh Sticks Bridge, as Phil and I did last week, and followed the path with all the duckboards. The four year old has been hankering to follow this path for a while but the buggy is too wide for it. Now was the chance. We had no intention of doing such a long walk as the last time Phil and I followed this path but headed in the general direction of Castleshaw, where there are the remains of a Roman fort. We didn”t plan to visit the fort either but turned right at the end of the duckboard path and made our way back to the main road and completed the circuit back to our house.



En route, we passed a field with llamas, or possibly alpacas. There was some debate about this.  Our “officially grown-up” granddaughter took a photo with 20x zoom and assured us they were alpacas.

 

There were some fine farm houses, some converted into fashionable dwellings rather than remaining as working farms.

 


 

And the scenery was excellent, as usual, even if the sky was a little threatening.

 


But Storm Alex managed to stay down south. We had a slight sprinkling of rain in the last stages of our return journey but not enough to worry about.  It was a very different day from the last time Phil and I walked that duckboard track though.


It’s just as well we did our adventuring yesterday. This morning I listened to the rain on the skylight windows and wondered if Storm Alex had made his way here after all. For the first time in I don’t know how long I chickened out of my run and opted for a quick shower and hair wash instead. By time I was drying my hair, the rain had eased considerably, of course! I probably could have run after all. Too late! Maybe I’ll go for a brisk walk later. Standards to maintain, after all.


Yesterday evening’s news was full of reports about the health of the president of the USA. I suppose it was inevitable - both that he should fill the news, becoming centre of attention again, and that he should catch the virus eventually, after so much mingling, hand shaking, virus denying and reluctance to hide his face behind a cowardly mask. And so last night they took him off to hospital. No mention of Melania, who has also tested positive. And there was much discussion of what happens to the debates, the election, and the government if he should become too seriously ill to continue. Twitter has apparently asked people not to tweet wishes for POTUS to die. Quite so!


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment