Tuesday 31 October 2017

Modern day problems!

Oh boy! So now someone has come out and accused Kevin Spacey of sexually abusing him thirty years back. This took place at a party in Spacey’s hotel room. Spacey was in this 20s and the young man was a 14 year old impressionable adolescent actor. Kevin Spacey says he doesn’t remember, it was a long time ago, he might have made a pass at him when he was drunk and if he did so he apologises. He has had relationships with both genders and now declares himself properly gay. This brings the gay lobby down on him for bringing them into disrepute, by suggesting that that somehow excuses bad behaviour. Of course it doesn’t, but I do wonder what bandwagons are being jumped on. And maybe I am doing the now not so young actor an injustice. He may well have been truly traumatised by the whole business!

It makes me glad I never wanted to get into show-business!

By contrast, the actress (I still like to call female actors actresses, by the way) Claire Foy seems to be taking a fairly sensible view of things. She has been on the Graham Norton chat show and Adam Sandler repeatedly put his hand her knee while telling an anecdote during the performance. She gestured to him to remove his hand, he did so but then forgot and put it back. So she had to tell him again. A spokesperson for Ms Foy said:"We don't believe anything was intended by Adam's gesture and it has caused no offence to Claire." Thank goodness somebody can be sensible. I would have thought that over the top, extravagant touchy-feely stuff would be expected on the Graham Norton Show!

Meanwhile Theresa May is apparently planning to take measures to crack down on all the sexual harassment in parliamentary circle. It really does seem as though all the predators are crawling out of the woodwork. More and more of them are being revealed every day. Is it an epidemic? Is it taking her attention away from Brexit?

The men I know are not all sexual predators, at least as far as I know. But perhaps they all have secret lives and nasty secrets will be revealed any day now. Or maybe the men I know are not powerful enough to get involved in such activities. But truly I begin to despair of men in public office.

I wonder as well how soon it will be before they start to find a similar stick to beat powerful women with. Oh, no, that’s not necessary. It already happens with nasty tweets.

And now, here are some comments from people who have smart phones, from an article about smart phone use:-

 Tom 28

Sometimes I’ll be watching TV and I’ll end up not even watching it because I’m too busy on my phone. It takes up a lot of my time, just scrolling through Facebook and stuff. I’ve thought about having a year off, deactivating Facebook and not looking at my phone that much.

 Freya 30

I’ve got friends who ban phones on a night out or when we’re having dinner because everyone is obsessed with using social media. I was even at a wedding recently where the bride banned people from uploading photos before the end of the ceremony. I climbed Kilimanjaro recently and I was looking forward to not having my phone for a week. It was so nice because it meant I had conversations with the people I was with. When I came back, I wasn’t that bothered about using my phone but then it slowly crept back in again.

Maria 69

I only use my phone for practical things or to call people. I don’t just watch what’s happening on there, so I don’t see any need to cut down.

 Shashi 32

I use my phone quite a bit – it’s in my hand right now. I use it for emails, WhatsApp, Twitter and Facebook. I have tried to cut down but I can’t because I get emails constantly. Some days I don’t carry it, but then the work piles up.

It seems to me that a little more self control is needed in the modern world!

No comments:

Post a Comment