Monday 30 May 2016

Sunday outing!

Yesterday we went on a short road trip: really just a bus ride to Baiona where our son and his little family have been renting an apartment for the week. I woke up in the morning to rain. In fact, I woke up in the middle of the night to torrential rain and the sound of water rushing down drain pipes. Not an auspicious start to the day. 

And so I headed off to the breadshop with my large, shocking pink umbrella to buy bread for breakfast. The weather witch told me the rain was set in for the day. Splendid! 

However, by the time we walked to the bus station the rain had stopped. I did not wear my sandals though, just in case the rain started again. I didn't fancy wet feet. And the shocking pink umbrella went with me. 

In the event, I could have worn my sandals and the shocking pink umbrella just served as a banner by which our son and family recognised us from a distance. The weather cleared up quite nicely but it still did not manage to match the heights of last year's visit, when we ended up in the pool belonging to the complex where our son is renting the flat. I took my swimsuit just in case but we decided that the water was still rather cold and the wind might be chill as we got out. So, no swimming this time round! 

We had a very good lunch in a moderately smart restaurant in one of the back streets off the sea front: tortilla, squid, scallops, croquettes, octopus and a green salad as a nod to healthy eating. Oh, and a couple of bottles of crisp AlbariƱo wine. What more could you ask for? 

Travel from Vigo to Baiona was ridiculously cheap. In greater Manchester we pay almost £4 for a twenty minute bus ride. In fact it costs about £3.50 for the ten minute ride from our house to nearby Uppermill. Yesterday we took a 50 minute ride to Baiona for €2.20 each. Crazy! 

It may be possible to get to Baiona more quickly by car but we took the scenic route, admiring beaches along the way. 

On the whole, not a bad way to spend a Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment