Monday 8 February 2016

Storms and fashions.

The rain keeps coming down. Storm Imogen has wrecked my umbrella, not just turning it inside out but breaking a couple of spokes. Another one bites the dust! Straight in the dustbin as I got home from Manchester. 

Before arriving home, I snapped this picture just outside the pub next door. It almost always bubbles away, unless we have had several weeks without rain, but this is pretty exceptional. Except that when I went past it earlier today, the water was spouting about eighteen inches high! Rome may have the Trevi fountain but we have this! 

I had been to Manchester to lunch with a couple of friends and to catch up on all our news. We went to the Côte Brasserie, just off Deansgate. Very nice and quite reasonably priced. Of course, UK restaurant lunchtime menu deals bear no comparison with Galician restaurant lunchtime menu deals, but this is the UK after all. It crossed my mind that they might need to redo all their signage now that the circumflex is disappearing from so many French words. I wonder if "côte" is one of them. It almost certainly will be! 

After lunch, my friends and I took a stroll around some of the shops, looking at sales good. This included the Russell and Bromley shoe shop, where shoes in the sale are reduced to £80 and non-sale goods get into triple figures! Amazing! 

I have often ranted about the craziness of high fashion. Usually it's just women's clothes but today I came across a piece by Tim Dowling with his comments on a number of men's fashion trends. In this case, it was not a matter of buying new clothes but wearing what you have in a new and fashionable way. Most of his judgement agree with mine. 

First of all, there was wearing your coat as if it were a cape, just draped elegantly across the shoulders. I can remember doing this with friends when I was a child in junior school. We would drape our school gabardines, not so elegantly, across our shoulders and run around with cloaks flowing behind us. Of course, what we did was fasten the top button so that we did not suffer as Tim Dowling did with the coat blowing away as he walked down the road. 

Then there was the "man clutch". Now I am all in favour of "man bags". I think they are really useful. If a bloke wants to carry his iPad, a load of papers, the newspaper and goodness knows what else, what better than a bag. There are some really nice one. But a "clutch" has always struck me as a singularly silly bag for either gender. They are never big enough to fit anything of any use in and you have to carry it "clutched", as the name implies, in your hand or under your arm. Just a nuisance. 

He moved on to wearing shoes without socks. My almost son-in-law must be really on trend as he seems to do this a lot. Sandals without socks I am quite in agreement with. In fact, I think they are a must. And maybe canvas shoes. But almost any other sort of footwear really should not be on bare feet, in my opinion. It's surely a recipe for sore feet, whether you are male or female. And if you have sore feet on a regular basis, you end up with lumpy, ugly feet. And then, when you want to go barefoot on the sand, for example, you have these embarrassing feet that you don't want to show off! 

Such is the world of modern fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment