Thursday 6 September 2012

Back in the UK again!

So here we are, back in the UK. 

We left a spectacular sunset in Oporto and by all accounts that was the sign that the summer the Gallegos have been missing so much was finally about to arrive. On the morning we left they told me in the supermarket that it was going to be hot and sunny all over the weekend and that weekend appears to have spread into this week. So it goes! 

So it was quite nice to wake up last Friday to a beautiful blue sky and sunshine. It didn’t last. By later in the day it was miserable. However, since then we have had some pretty good sunshine, even if it has turned cold in the evenings. The central heating is back on!!! 

In Porto airport I spotted this wonderful bit of translation on a menu. “Chicken crumbed with bread” and “vegetables Spanish omelette” sound good and where did “cutlass fish” come from? Pirates of the Caribbean? 

 Since we came back I’ve managed to get out into the hills, which has been good. I went up to the site of an old Roman fort just up the road from our house with my granddaughter and then we took the long way home. 



Incidentally, I discovered what it is that teenagers do when they go for walks: send non-stop text messages. 


And I renewed my acquaintance with some local fauna.

Unfortunately I have found one of my normal routes for running has been fenced off. This is what happens when you go away for a while; people put up fences. Very annoying!! 

Today I’ve been into Manchester city centre to buy one or two things we can only get there. I do like Manchester in the sunshine. You can always see some interesting sights. 

And then I’ve been watching the return into cycling of Alberto Contador. There he is back in the lead in the Vuelta a España, pushing the UK’s Chris Froome out of his way. Will he go back to the Champs Elysées next July and get back onto the winner’s podium in the Tour? We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment