Thursday 4 August 2022

Variety is the spice of weather. Bits of beauty. The continuing turmoil of the modern world.

This week, we’ve had sunshine, torrential rain, high winds and general cloudiness. Today we’ve had all in one day. Okay, the rain has hardly been torrential but from time to time a little exaggeration does no harm.


This morning I  walked to Uppermill in the sunshine, did what I needed to do there and decided to catch a bus back home, especially as the 356 bus, the one that does a long and convoluted route from Ashton bus station  to Oldham bus station, was waiting for me in the square. So I had a scenic tour round Diggle and planned to stay on the bus into Delph village centre so that I could pick up a couple of things from the coop store. To my surprise, when the bus reached Delph crossroads, instead of going straight ahead towards the village, it took a right turn and then a left into the industrial estate. “We’re just changing vehicles,” said the driver. And indeed, there was another small bus waiting in the car park. 


I could have changed buses too but it hardly seemed worth it and I decided to walk into the village from there. Of course, at that point it decided to rain on me, just gently but still rain. I had no waterproof as my weather app had promised only a 2% chance of rain. I put up my hood - minimal protection - and continued under the trees, taking a chance that by the time I came out of the coop the rain would have stopped. And so it had! All good! A variety of weather in one day! You never get bored!


Yesterday my daughter and I eventually persuaded Granddaughter Number One to go for an afternoon walk with us. 

 

Granddaughters Number Two and Number Three came along too. 

 

We saw some fine wild flower beds by the canal in Mossley. 

 





The canal itself was looking picturesque. 

 

 

And we found dens in the woods alongside the bridle path.

 


And on my way to Uppermill this morning I stopped to admire a garden full of sunflowers in Dobcross. 

 


The world may be in turmoil but there is still stuff to be grateful for. 


The turmoil does continue though. Andrew Gwynne, MP for nearby Denton, posted this:


“Last year, BT Group gave its CEO a 32% pay rise whilst it's workers faced a cost of living crisis and shrinking pay packets. He now earns £3.5m, over 85 times the average salary of a worker at the company. 

I've heard from constituents who are unable to put food on the table, and even of one BT workplace setting up a food bank inside a call centre when staff could no longer afford essentials. 

Today I've written to BT's CEO, urging him to do his job and meet with Communication Workers Union (CWU) to agree a fair pay deal. I've also written to Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport to urge her department to step in if BT won't. 👇


No comment needed.


The London Economic gave me this:


“Liz Truss said she changed her mind on Brexit when she realised the split had not caused any disruption.

The Conservative leadership contender was speaking in the latest hustings as she battles it out with the Leave candidate, Rishi Sunak.

Truss, who backed Remain in 2016, has since been trying to distance herself from the decision in order to woo Tory members, who will soon decide who to make the next prime minister.


Speaking in Cardiff on Wednesday, she said: “On the subject of the remain vote … yes, I was unsure at the time. I was pretty much on the fence.

“I’ve always said that if we weren’t part of the European Union, I wouldn’t want to join it.

“But I was concerned about some of the disruption. The fact is that disruption didn’t happen.””


Goodness! Even Rees Mogg has had to admit that Brexit has some responsibility for the chaos at Dover. And here’s a link to an article about the problems caused by Brexit.


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone! 


No comments:

Post a Comment