Saturday 20 August 2022

My life of relative ease. My reading matter. Migrant problems.

 Yesterday I phoned my hairdresser’s salon on the off-chance that I might be able to make an appointment for some time next week. And the receptionist suggested 10.00 this morning. What a surprise! So there I was at 8.20 this morning waiting for a bus to take me to Oldham Mumps to catch the tram into Manchester. Not quite what I had planned but there it was. The later bus would not have got me there in time.


I thought I might have time to pop into a couple of shops before my appointment but the places I wanted to visit close to the salon didn’t open until 10. So much for the early bird catching the worm and all that.


It was dull and rather drizzly when I set off but I had my umbrella just in case. By the time I reached Manchester it had stopped and by the time ai came out of the hairdresser’s the sun was shining. I did my odds and ends of shopping but completely forgot that I had intended to go to the bookshop to look for a couple of items for Granddaughter Number Three’s sixth birthday in a couple of weeks time. The best laid plans …!


I shall have to order online, which is a little annoying. I already have projects afoot ready for her birthday, including a hand-stitched mermaid toy, but there are a couple of children’s books I want to introduce her to. 


I only remembered my plan to visit the bookshop as the tram I was travelling on was approaching Ashton - too late! I called in at my daughter’s on the way home, mostly to admire the mammoth sorting put tasks she has been undertaking over the last couple of weeks. She is feeling very virtuous!


I’ve been reading a series of books by Larry McMurty, essentially cowboy stories, the exploits of some Texas Rangers. As they have made their way through the wilder parts of Texas, facing drought and occasional storms, fighting off Comanche Indians, I find myself wondering how the West was ever settled. And then yesterday I came across this article about migrants from Mexico, trying to cross Texas and dying in those same arid bits of the country. They are tackling more dangerous territory because the border guards are too effective in safe crossing points. Bodies are being discovered, people who have simply run out of food and water and been unable to continue. What a sad situation in the 21st  century! 


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment