Friday 5 August 2022

Dodging the showers. Seasonal fruits. Urging peace talks.

Another seesaw weather day. I woke up to rain, dozed for a while, and then went for a run in the sunshine when the rain had stopped. My timing was immaculate. I had been home long enough to shower when the rain came down in torrents again. I thought I had seen the best of the day but then it brightened up again - seesaw weather! 


Later in the morning, the weather forecast suggesting a decreasing percentage chance of rain, I went to meet my daughter, Granddaughter Number One and her dog, and the two smallest grandchildren for a walk along the canal towpath and coffee and a snack at the cafe at the Limekiln cafe. That cafe used to be the Brownhill Visitor Centre with interesting exhibits of stuffed animals and bits of information about local plants.  I have no idea what became of all the exhibits bit the cafe is very good. And mostly it didn’t rain on us - just the occasional spattering! 


Walking home later along the Donkey Line, I saw that blackberries are beginning to ripen along the way. I am sure that’s a bit early but nothing surprises me with the odd weather we’ve been having. Over in Yorkshire they’ve been weighing gooseberries. The annual Egton Bridge gooseberry show took place on Tuesday. It’s the oldest gooseberry show in the UK, running on the first Tuesday of every August since 1800, apart from enforced breaks due to foot and mouth and Covid. “It would be amazing to win something,” says Marguerite Benson, on her way in to the annual  event. “Especially this year because we’ve suffered everything you can – sawfly, wasps, birds got in the cage a week ago. Talk about stress. These little berries that we’ve been nurturing, they’re like our … children.”


Imagine getting so emotional about gooseberries! 


More seriously, I see Jeremy Corbyn has got himself in the news again, urging the West  to stop arming Ukraine:-


“Pouring arms in isn’t going to bring about a solution, it’s only going to prolong and exaggerate this war,” Corbyn said. “We might be in for years and years of a war in Ukraine.”


Corbyn gave the interview on Al Mayadeen, a Beirut-based TV channel that has carried pro-Russia reporting since Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine.

“What I find disappointing is that hardly any of the world’s leaders use the word peace; they always use the language of more war, and more bellicose war.”


I don’t suppose that will bring peace between him and Starmer but that’s a different battle altogether. 


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment