Wednesday 27 March 2024

Organising Wednesday. And a bit of David Cameron and Brexit comment.

 The sun was shining when I got up this morning. It was rather cloudy with occasional bursts of sunshine when I walked to Uppermill. The weather forecast said there was 0% chance of rain until midday. So I took my umbrella. 


The plan was to walk to Uppermill, buy biscuits from Jenny Biscuit, if she was there (she was), pick up a few things from the Italian frutivendolo, and then catch the bus to Oldham where I was collecting new glasses. It all worked well. I arrived in Oldham in time to pop into the library, where I bought a present for a friend. Yes, I know libraries are about lending books and maybe audiovisual stuff. And I was surprised when I discovered last year that they now have a mini version of the museum shop, selling cards, jewellery, knicknacks and so on. Maybe it’s ever since they incorporated Gallery Oldham with it’s exhibition spaces. 


Anyway, I also renewed my library books while I was there and selected further reading matter, a couple of books our local branch does not have. And there was still time to pop into Sainsbury’s before going to pick up my glasses. Unfortunately Sainsbury’s did not have the rye and walnut loaf I wanted in stock, but I was able to replenish our stock of Boddington’s beer. 


I collected my glasses and headed for the indoor market, noticing en route that Oldham’s branch of The Body Shop has closed. That’s another boarded-up shop in the centre of the now rather miserable town centre. By now it was starting to rain. By the' time I left the market hall it was raining properly. So I went to the nearby bus station, fully expecting to have a half hour’s wait for the next bus, but the previous one mustvhave been delayed and arrived juat as I did.


So it all worked out fine, despite the rain.  


Here’s a little something I spotted earlier:


“David Cameron says attacks on our democracy are unacceptable.


Unless, of course, it is the Conservatives with Voter ID, banning strikes or jailing protestors.”


That sounds right. 


And while I’m thinking of David Cameron, who allowed Brexit to happen, and farmers driving their tractors to Westminster to protest, here’s something else, from Deborah Meaden, business woman and TV personality apparently :


“I have sympathies with farmers but feeling betrayed by a government having to sign deals allowing lower quality imports when this was so obviously going to happen puzzles me. farming needs more respect from both inside and out … but I’m not sure what farmers thought was going to happen outside the protection of the EU. The time for protest was then, before the vote, not now.”


Quite so!


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment