Friday 7 April 2023

A late post for Good Friday.

What do you do on a sunny spring day? In my case today it was get up and go for a run. Then I put a load of white washing in the machine to be processed whole I had a shower and breakfasted. It’s been a perfectly fine day for putting white washing on the line outside - a bit of sunshine to reinforce the whiteness! 


After breakfast we headed into Oldham. Phil had an eye test booked, surprisingly since today is Good Friday. In fact, this led us to falsely suppose that mostly today, despite its religious significance might carry on like any ordinary Friday. Not so! The expected bus failed to turn up. Checking on the transport website we discovered that buses were running on “public holiday” setting, possibly slightly worse than the Sunday timetable. But there was still a suitable bus, just rather later than we expected.


Our bus service which usually runs half-hourly was now running hourly. The poor folk who live at nearby Denshaw and normally have an hourly service today have a two-hourly service! 


In our village centre the Morris Dancers were getting ready to perform. So smallish crowds were out to watch the fun and games. The Morris Dancers were all holding glasses of beer. I suppose if you wear a silly hat decorated with flowers then you might need a bit of Dutch courage.


In the town centre I hopped off the bus ahead of Phil so that I could pick up some supplies from Sainsbury’s. There I had a conversation with a lady protesting about the buses, or rather the lack of buses. It seems odd that all the shops were open as usual and people were busily filling trolleys, but transport was pretending that almost nobody would be out and about. 


There have been a number of adverts for activities parents can take their children along to over the Easter weekend. Not all those parents have cars so why, I wonder, is transport reduced? There is a lack of joined-up thinking!


When we returned home I indulged in other fine, sunny day activities:


I finally got around to tidying the garden - hurrah!


And I set about deep cleaning the kitchen, a job I have been putting off!


That’s enough for today! Scrubbing the floor again might be put off until tomorrow. 


Life goes on. Stay safe and well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment